Different propeller

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Doran Jaffas

I have removed my Warp Drive 3 blade ground adjustable propeller from my 0-200A powered Tailwind W8 and am in the process of fitting a Prince P Tip.
Should be ready in a week or less. Then the test flights be to compare performance. Really looking forward to this. Looking for a little more climb.
Aside from the looks I am of more conventional thinking.
If this works out I will be offering up the 3 blade. Nothing wrong with it. A quality propeller for somebody.

Attachments

Doran Jaffas

I set it up so IF I ever have to hand prop 625 MS the prop is taken out of my hands as it passes through the 90 degree arc.

pwood66889

That is a consideration, though I was more interested in smoothness after I got it running.
Classic position is 2 and 10 o'clock when the engine is stopped by the compression stroke.
Never "hand-propped" and kinda old to start now...
Thanks

Doran Jaffas

That is a consideration, though I was more interested in smoothness after I got it running.
Thanks
I'll let you know how it goes. I am 59 and have hand propped since I was in my 20's. Uncomfortable when the prop is taken while your head is lowering into the prop. Personal experience.

davidjgall

Classic position is 2 and 10 o'clock when the engine is stopped by the compression stroke.
Thanks
“2 and 10 o’clock” doesn’t work for a two blade prop. Which is it that you’re advocating, 2 o’clock or 10 o’clock?

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
“2 and 10 o’clock” doesn’t work for a two blade prop. Which is it that you’re advocating, 2 o’clock or 10 o’clock?
I would think that it would be 2 or 10, depending on which cylinder was on the compression stroke. To tired to cross check myself though. That would be at the top, bottom blade would be at 4 or 8. If I'm right, and not actually asleep....

Doran Jaffas

When I'm pulling this propeller through I go by where the compression stroke begins and is relieved. Sometimes it is personal comfort.I have hand craft a lot of airplanes where is the compression stroke is coming out you're actually moving toward the engine. Not a comfortable maneuver.

TFF

M20 Mooneys can have 2 or three blades props. Three is cheaper by a couple of thousand dollars. That is what insurance companies want you to put on if it’s their bill. I know someone who had to go though that and the three bladed one always vibrated. This was before I was an A&P and now know how to balance a prop. They had it swapped for a two bladed pretty quick. Both new props. Best had prop is probably not best balance with a three blade. My feeling now is the prop on that Mooney was not indexed right. I just changed a two blade phase on a friend’s plane because instructions were sparse and it is much smoother now. Essentially the two blade is almost horizontal at top dead center. The hub alignment dowls has I think a slight lag in the right spot. Instructions for props can have strange wordings. C150 took a bit of thinking when I had only done turbines for years. This last one was a STC installation.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Circa 1985 (when I was younger, and in top physical condition), at a Sebring, FL, aerobatic contest, Ray Williams was ready to fly his 4 minute free in his six cylinder, high compression, retractable gear Pitts. The fuel injected engine was hot from a previous flight. Blade orientation here:

[/URL]

I pulled on that three blade prop until I was exhausted. My friend then pulled, until he, too, was exhausted. Another man repeated the process, and gave up too. I started propping again, and the engine finally started at full throttle. Not trusting the brakes, we had several people holding the airplane.

Ray then performed the first 540 degree rotation hammerhead seen publically in the world, and received the first applause that I had seen from the crowd at a contest. Later video of the maneuver can be seen here:

Like others here, I’ve been propping airplanes for 60+ years, but that Pitts was a challenge with the six, high compression cylinders, three bladed prop indexed that way, and the relatively high fuselage angle.

BJC

pwood66889

"Essentially the two blade is almost horizontal at top dead center. "
Which aligns the blades with the plane of the crank shafts. This is The First thing I have ever seen on this.
Can any body Document any thing different? Thanks!

Doran Jaffas

Just curious why you say 2 & 10 does not work for a 2 blade? No set rule that I have heard of. It depends on where you want to propeller to stop. On a pusher prop it makes a huge difference because you do not want the exhaust banging against the blades. That happened to a friend of mine's Vari Eze once and it really made him concerned until he rotated the prop. On a tractor though I've never heard of any set blade position except for hand propping and the fact that you do not want it stopping in the vertical position for obvious reasons.

Mcmark

Doran, the impulse coupling/s will snap somewhere near the vertical position in the 2&10 position which means if it fires you are on your tiptoes on most airplanes.
Your airplane appears to be fairly low at the nose as that prop does not look like a wheel landing will give much prop clearance. That is not a problem as long as you know it and fly that way.
I too have been propping airplanes since I was in my early teens/tweens and I’m almost 59, as my Dad had a Pitts with no electrics and we decided that hot swaps were less desirable than me propping the airplane. The deck angle on that bird and a lot of others make the 2&10 unworkable. I had a TriPacer start on me with the switch off and it’s prop was clocked 2&10 and I was **** lucky cause I was off balance as it went off.
Even with it being low, I will/would be moving away from the nose with it being a little low. I was taught to be stepping away from the prop as I pull it through.
Good luck with the install.
Mark

Doran Jaffas

You and I have a lot in common. My tri-pacer started on me unexpectedly once. I was lucky as well. As far as the propeller length goes it is shorter than it looks. The 3 blade I had on there before it was actually longer and had plenty of clearance but to your point.. I do not do wheel landings anyway. Even in gusting crosswinds I have a tendency to three point. The propeller is fine for me the way is positioned when I hand prop. A lot of it is personal preference I guess but again you and I have some things in common and I do appreciate your input.

Doran Jaffas

M20 Mooneys can have 2 or three blades props. Three is cheaper by a couple of thousand dollars. That is what insurance companies want you to put on if it’s their bill. I know someone who had to go though that and the three bladed one always vibrated. This was before I was an A&P and now know how to balance a prop. They had it swapped for a two bladed pretty quick. Both new props. Best had prop is probably not best balance with a three blade. My feeling now is the prop on that Mooney was not indexed right. I just changed a two blade phase on a friend’s plane because instructions were sparse and it is much smoother now. Essentially the two blade is almost horizontal at top dead center. The hub alignment dowls has I think a slight lag in the right spot. Instructions for props can have strange wordings. C150 took a bit of thinking when I had only done turbines for years. This last one was a STC installation.
When my engine stops..it is almost at the 22 & 6 position. Wrong?