• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Difference between talking about building and Doing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don january

I want to start this thread to share for one the story of a builder (Lou) who is 70+ years old that has one ultralight and many model's build's under his belt and now taking on a build of a Taylor-mono plane. I check HBA most every day and read the question's that arise from potential builder's daily and I sure have found a big difference in question's that come up from say the people who are only thinking of a build and one who is building. First round of question's to me was over how to understand the print's. For those who have seen the Taylor mono print's you would probably agree they are not of the best detail and follow a build set in the 50's. I have to think that the biggest hold back for a plane to get built is the over thinking of the start by a builder. Most first timer's seem to want to start with the Tail group to see if they even like what there up against and if they can understand the print's and of course have to stew over every type of wood and glue. My friend Lou came up against his first challenge of the build on asking why so many block's and what about seat depth and I was to reply block's for strength and that's what the print's call for and you'll have to get the fuselage where you can sit in it to know were your butt will be and how far out your head will be in the air stream. I also try and remind Lou daily that a builder must keep their chin up and reach out for any advice he can find. I guess I find it much more rewarding to struggle with a builder having set back's then to sit and try and answer a dreamer's quest to get the courage up to start slinging aircraft part's into a plane. What's your thoughts in this realm of Home built airplane's???? DJtaylor 1.jpg

Back