Diehl XTC

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Gregory Perkins

I did not intend to, nor did I, assert that the majority of crashes were due to structural failures. Most crashes of aircraft are due to pilot error, so I would be surprised if ultralights were different.

I don’t have reliable data to make a case either way, and I do wonder about the validity of some of the ultralight crash reports from years ago, but I do know of five different new design ultralights shown at Oshkosh that had structural failures that led to fatalities. But, as I suggested above, there were plenty of other reasons, too.

BJC
All these years later we should be able to identify the specific makes and models
and hopefully the reasons why they were unsafe. Would you please share with us
the five new design ul's that had fatal structural failures that were the result of design
flaws or inadequacies. This info should be kept alive because there still must be thousands upon thousands of ULs in storage all across the land.

Riggerrob

Not denying all your assertions but the crash analysis reports from back then revealed that the majority of fatal crashes were the result of pilot error and not structural failure. That is when the dual seat instruction systems were rolled out and given great priority.
Several of those crashes occurred after private pilots tried aerobatics in ultralights that were not designed for aerobatics. When over-stressed, those ultralights suffered structural failures and fell out of the sky.

Island_flyer

Is there any source for Diehl XTC plans or assembly manuals? I haven't found any; even tried to contact Dan Diehl directly. If the original was sold in kit form, then the assembly manual wouldn't give all the technical details necessary to build one from scratch, but it would be a good start. It seems like it would be a great candidate for electric power for short flights, using a bit more wattage for takeoff, then "throttle" back for a brief low-and-slow flight near a lake.

Gregory Perkins

Is there any source for Diehl XTC plans or assembly manuals? I haven't found any; even tried to contact Dan Diehl directly. If the original was sold in kit form, then the assembly manual wouldn't give all the technical details necessary to build one from scratch, but it would be a good start. It seems like it would be a great candidate for electric power for short flights, using a bit more wattage for takeoff, then "throttle" back for a brief low-and-slow flight near a lake.
Unfortunately the hull and the wings were made in molds with fiberglass over foam etc. There is no way to recreate that with plans . BUT.... IF he still had the molds ? ? ?

Island_flyer

Unfortunately the hull and the wings were made in molds with fiberglass over foam etc. There is no way to recreate that with plans . BUT.... IF he still had the molds ? ? ?
I just got an answer from Dan. He said all the molds were trashed years ago, and verified that the assembly manual would be useless without the premolded parts, as I surmised. Maybe someone who actually owns one could build reverse molds out of plaster, and . . . yeah, I guess the design is lost to history now.

XTCOwner

I've got a XTC that you can make a mold of and I also have the original manual.