• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Did I get a turkey?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voyeurger

Guys,
I bought this vacuum pump new on Ebay.
It worked fine on a test layup (which was only about a foot long). Then, when I did my first serious layup, (about 8 feet long and flat) it took 45 minutes just to empty the bag air! Never did get decent pressure. Layup pretty much worthless (and ugly to boot). Of course I spent that 45 minutes frantically trying to find leaks. I could find none. A couple days ago I tried another big layup. I had torn the whole setup (PVC piping, catch bottle) apart and started over with a clean, airtight setup. Same thing happened. This time I was ready though. I stuck a small nozzle on my shop vac, poked it through the bag, and when I turned it on, it immediately sucked the back hard against the layup. My gauge was still reading zero as I ran around checking for leaks and squeezing bag caulk. Eventually the gauge moved to 1 inHg. This with the Ebay pump AND shop vac going.
I realize that vacuum pumps are slow and steady workhorses, but, how long should it take to get a large bag tight to the layup? Would a shop vac always win this race? What should my gauge peak at if I put it directly onto the pump? I think I've got a crappy pump. It was impossible to leak check by shutting off the pump because the shop vac hose would have let the bag inflate leaks or no.
Anybody out there with similar pumps or experienced with same, I'd sure like to know if I've bought a turkey or if I AM a turkey.:ermm:

Thanks.
Gary

Back