• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Designing inlets/outlets for A/C on aft fuselage of RV-10

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarr

Supporting Member
Hi guys,

I've got an RV-10 underway in my garage right now, and one of the things I'd like to do is give it a real air-conditioning system. My specific challenge at the moment is coming up with a good way to ingest and then expel the air for the condenser. The airflow is about 500 cfm and is driven by a high-dP axial fan. I need to be able to get full flow while standing still on the ground (hence the fan), but also add minimum disturbance to the external flow while in the air.

My current thinking is a NACA inlet mounted on one side of the aft fuselage that exhausts to a wedge/ramp outlet on the other side of the aft fuselage. This makes the internal ducting a fairly straight shot, which is good for minimizing pressure drop and maximizing simplicity.

Is this a reasonable idea? Should I be concerned that sucking on one side of the fuselage and blowing on the other will create a problem?

The exit in particular is an area that I've had trouble finding good design resources for. The system may be turned off for a substantial portion of the flight and it would be desirable to not add lots of drag when the system is not in use.

Thanks for any advice or references,
David

Back