• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Designing/building of my 4-stroke (direct-drive) engine to replace the 277/477 Rotax

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemans

I believe this builders log is a more appropriate place to post my findings and progress.
Those who are interested how I got at this point can read my thread in the auto-conversion section.

“Thanks STIHL... about 2-stroke techniques in a 4 stroke engine.”

Main goal is to build 4-stroke in direct drive configuration with the same specs. (or better) than the 277 Rotax witch is out of production.
Up to now, the theoretical approach gives satisfying results and power output is close to the 477. This is not an attempt to build an
expensive “high tech” engine. It's an attempt to build a simple affordable engine by using “high tech” software in combination with the most competitive companies
(no matter were they are located ). Nor is this a commercial based project, everybody is free to use the theoretical-info and/or
parts-information to duplicate the engine.
A good and respected friend from the UK who has his own make of motorcycles warned me about the financial part of this project.
If I was willing to spend 25000€ on a brand new 2-cyl. engine? Well... I hope to bring this down to a <10000€ adventure by recycling widely available
Citroen 2VC parts and by doing all the engineering my selves. Earlier I received quotes on manufacturing costs of cylinders and pistons (here in Belgium)
and prices are acceptable. (+/- 150€ each).
Must say also that 600cc industrial engines, build in China and transported into Belgium are available around 350€ ...each....complete
...carburettor...ignition....run ready..
Most of them break down after a few hours though.

So.... let's see were this takes us.

Comments are welcome, you can always 'PM' me

Last edited:
Back