• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Designing / building non-fabric wingsuit - Exo suit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JetBirdz

Hi there,
I'm currently designing/building a wingsuit.
I've already learnt some things from other threads on this site and hope to learn a lot more.
The picture is of a model of my non-fabric Exo wingsuit.

Exo-suit.jpg

My design differs from most modern wingsuits in many ways.
* It doesn't rely on ram air pressure to inflate the wings.
* its more rigid consistent wing skinning can incorporate/support hi-lift devices.
* It can be made more aerodynamically efficient.

Eg A modern fabric unpowered wingsuit may require a 200mph forward speed to achieve anything like an extended horizontal glide.
I'm hoping the speed required to achieve an extended horizontal glide will be greatly reduced . Also reducing the stall speed is another goal.

sswing control test.jpg

The 1/3 scale testers worked out OK so a full size version was next.

DRIVE TEST fullsize left fore-arm + slat.jpg

This proved the be controllable so continued .
Simplified overall design by omitting the L.E slat if only temporarily.

.fore-arm and outer wing prototype.jpgThen it started looking like a wingsuitfolded.JPG

Now I'm continuing with the articulated spar design and my attempts at taming the operation of the retracting mechanism.

Articulated spar..jpg forearm prototype.jpg

I'm interested in people thoughts about this project
I get the feeling the expertise is present in these forums to help make this aircraft as lightweight , strong and safe as possible.
I'll be posting in the other forums with some specific design/structural issues I've been having.
Looking forward to your feedback soon.

Back