• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Designing a removable one-piece horizontal stabilizer with advanced composites (self-study)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhooper360

My plane’s stabilizer is slightly wider than the average Airstream trailer, so it's designed to be removable. That way I don’t have to worry about it when I’m driving.

This part of the aircraft was the most persistently frustrating to design. It’s because there are so many control components and load-bearing components close to each other. I didn’t see any existing on the search, except BoKu explaining about the Libelle. Here is my (WIP, work in progress) design and a few sketches. Critique it, or not.

Honeyview_pic-2.png

Honeyview_pic-1.png

jigs.png

rrr.png

ttt.png

Goals:
  • Twice the number of individual components, or fewer, as compared to a fixed installation.
  • After installation, the stabilizer must align within 0.3 degrees without using a measuring tool.
  • Strength requirements --
  • Theoretical ultimate load, 4470 lbs
  • Static loading approximation, linear deflection: up to 1500 lbs
  • Weight approximation, for the elevator and h. stabilizer: 25 lbs
Principles:
  • Reduce complexity.
  • Minimize failure points.
  • Make the structure easier to analyze.
  • Respect the limitations and best practices of composite materials.

Back