• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Design to attract new homebuilders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJC

Supporting Member
Every time I read a post on the 21st century VW, I have to remind myself that the OP objective there relates to a simple airplane that looks, and is, easy to build. Good objective. However, I want to start a related discussion, ergo, a new thread.

Yes, airplanes are expensive, but young people are spending lots of money on hobbies and wants, so, if motivated, many could afford to learn to fly and obtain an airplane.

Consider what the dream of the BD-5 did. It created the interest of thousands of new entrants into aviation. Just consider the raw numbers (from Wiki):

The combination of fighter-like looks and relatively low cost led to the BD-5 selling over 5,000 kits or plans, with approximately 12,000 orders being taken for a proposed factory-built, FAA-certified version.[1]

PLEASE do not get on the bash Bede bandwagon - this is not about his shortcomings, but about attracting people into aviation.

So, my question is: What, in the way of an HBA, either kit or plans built, would bring large numbers of people into recreational flying?

BJC

Back