• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

[DESIGN] Quick sketch of a twin screw flying wing ala Vought XF5U-1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPEKTRE76

Lake Stevens, WA / United States of America
Hey guys, I just banged out this quick idea that just popped into my head literally 10 minutes ago. I have been in love with the concept that was know as the XF5U-1 which was made by Vought, makers of the famed F4U Corsair series. So, this is small aircraft made mostly of CRF and Aluminum. My concept is basically a Ferrari for the air. This a sports aeroplane made for speed and fun! Maybe a light air racer. It's a hot rod in the sky, big motor small body. Please keep in mind this is only an idea and that I am not an aerodynamic engineer. Continental GTSIO-520M 375hp F-6 (De-rated to 350hp*) centrally mounted 2 x Hartzell Bantam composite tri-blade propeller (*rated to 350hp) CRF skin and some structures H.O.T.A.S. control system. Both propeller assemblies sit in aerodynamic cowlings that have small tranmissions that are driven by carbon Kevlar drive shafts. The motor is fed air from a P-51D style scoop under the plane. Yes I understand this plane will have short range but it's only built for one pilot and it's purpose is power and speed and holy s--t! Do you think my span has to be wider? I looked at the XF5U-1 and it seems relatively narrow by comparison to conventional planes? Pacific Northwest Aviation PN-375R 'Peregrine'

Revision 1
PNA-375R.jpg

Original
10690196_10201561404955962_8615473128421874188_n.jpg

I downloaded NASA's Open VSP to test this out.

Last edited:
Back