• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Design of Red Bull Flugtag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hwbd

Hi Everyone

Myself and a few friends are currently building a red bull flugtag. We are a bit strapped for time as the deadline is next saturday :ponder:. We are going for a simple aircraft design with airfoil wings to generate lift.

At the moment we are deciding on wing design. The max wingspan we are allowed is 9m (29.5ft) and the total weight of our craft including pilot(70kg) is projected to be about 100kg (220lbs). Take off speed I am unsure of but basically its whatever 3 Irish lads (who have had a few too many pints of guinness);) can push it up to.

I am looking for any advice on:

• Wing Area/Aspect Ratio/Chord Length?
We are probably going to go for the maximum wingspan. I have looked at information on low and high aspect ratio and I am unsure what we should go for. If possible we would like to avoid putting an angle on the wings due to the complications it presents in construction.

• Airfoil Sections
We are not looking at adding any control systems due to time constraints. I am not sure which section we should go for.

From research I have done so far
NACA 1419
NACA 2412
NACA 23012
NACA 6409 - from flugtag distance world record holder

Any advice for last minute flugtag builders would be greatly appreciated.

Back