• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Design for Crashworthiness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVSUSteve

MODERATOR NOTE: These posts were moved to their own thread from "LE Flaps for a VW-Powered Homebuilt", as they were branching off into their own topic. - Topaz

I imagine that your Vireo, even though it has some headroom, still doesn't have much elbow room.

The seat is designed to accommodate the elbow to elbow breadth of the aforementioned 95th percentile man (24.2"), then there is 6" clearance on the outboard side and a foot between the seat backs. The control sticks are Airbus style sidesticks but mounted in the center instead of outboard as in many designs. Elbow room was a consideration in my design as well.

I partly compensated for the drag of the extra width by making the height low, with a seating position like sailplanes have.

That wasn't an option because we wanted to have a maximized energy attenuating seat and good over nose visibility (with a tractor configuration).

even though visibility is important enough to me to require a rear engine

Forward visibility should not be a major concern based on a mockup we built to test layout and visibility. A pusher configuration would have provided somewhat better forward visibility but one of the basic tenets of crash survivability is to have as much of the mass forward and below the occupants and possible. The other issue is that, if you're thinking about crash survivability/structural integrity, you'd have to really reinforce the front end to make up for not having the engine and its mount up there which might actually have a significant negative effect in terms of weight. If I can offer any assistance with terms of the safety side of your design, let me know via PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back