• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Design Drivers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
I’ve always heard that engine design drives aircraft design.

I think that traditionally that’s always meant horsepower but in this forum I believe it’s an outstanding merit in any area.

For instance engine with an amazing specific fuel consumption Could be highly desirable in an aircraft for a long range bush work.

and of course we’re always looking for the lightest weight for the amount of horsepower.

of course price for horsepower is a major influence.

Time between overhaul or reliability is also a major concern

what are your nominations for the greatest engines in any of these areas?

personally I am interested in the engines in the 150 -200 range , I realize many here are interested in a much smaller engine and some in much larger ones, feel free to throw your hat in the ring.

Back