Density Altitude Nine Deadly Sins

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

thump

Good post. One of the best down to earth books I ever read on this subject is (Mountain Flying Bible) by Sparky Imeson the 490 page one. It's also set up for quick reference.

dino

Excellent presentation. At minute 13:35, the diagram shows the minimum drag speed and max L/D to coincide. The maximum L/D should be to the right of the point shown. Graphically it can be derived by drawing a line through the origin (0,0) and extending it to the point of tangency to the polar curve. That point will be the best L/D speed and the slope of the drawn line will be the L/D value.

Dino

Attachments

Last edited:

dino

Now I see the graph has Drag on the vertical axis. I mistook it for a polar diagram with sink rate on the vertical. Anyway, max L/D should be to the right of minimum drag.

pic1083

I attended Mr Anderson presentation many years ago. Learned a lot and have a VCR tape of the presentation. Your link is basically the same, but a more professional
production. I had intended on using it during ground school, if I ever started to teach. This link is one of the films he showed. Very enlightening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzDSq6m2zV4