• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Demoichelle article in ULM Info

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
Here's a nice little article from a builder of Daniel Dalby (APEV) Demoichelle microlight from this months ULM Info, the magazine of FFPLUM, the French ultralight association. I have added my own edits to the Google translation below.

Microlight Construction

I DECIDED TO BUILD MY OWN MICROLIGHT

It is in 2014, during the French microlight championship in Levroux, that everything begins.

Member of the Motorized Wings Club, I have the chance to referee this competition and therefore to see all competitors and their mounts up close.

During this event, I meet Thomas Joron and his Scoutchel, a microlight designed by Daniel Dalby, the founder of APEV (Association for the Promotion
Flying Ladders).

Cute and simple with its variable-incidence wings, this machine is for me the epitome of microlight aviation.

It's on the web site of the association, among the different plans sets available, that my eyes come to rest on the Demoichelle. That day, I decided to build my microlight.

The plans arrive in early 2015. The study and search for materials last a few months, then I start the work. The fuselage first, then the landing gear, the tail and finally the wings.

This construction does not require special skills. It must be made by hand, but I would say that above all the quality must be serious. And in case of doubt, there is none! We stop and we ask the designer.

For my part I am in contact with Anthony Martin, builder of Demoichelle 13 in Salon-Eguyères. His machine has more than 250 hours and his experience (feedback) is very valuable to me.

In addition to the technical support we must not forget the human side, because airplane building is an addiction, at least for me. Sharing and advancing your project with those around you makes sense. A quiet mind is a real asset to succeed in a serious build.

All this time spent building, physically or intellectually, is punctuated with questions, research, pleasures, failures, encouragements, mockery, surpassing one's expectations, satisfaction and ultimately great joy.

For me, it was February 18, 2018, when for the first time my Demoichelle hopped a few centimeters. Prepared on the ground for a few weeks like an aerobatic pilot, assisted by a fellow builder and my instructor, I timidly run at 22 kph and does not exceed the performance of a flea. Then come more hops, longer and longer over our Berrichonne strip of almost a kilometer.

Today, I am refining my machine and sharing my experience with all those eager to embark on the marvelous adventure of amateur construction of a microlight.

I must admit that I am already looking for another microlight construction project, always bearing in mind Daniel Dalby's slogan: Build seriously, fly carefully.

Attachments

• DEMOICHELLE P27 ULM INFO 104.pdf
    66.7 KB · Views: 95
Back