Quantcast

Deburr using drill and 400 grit sandpaper?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
One more idea to try. I have not tried this myself, but just brainstorming.

Get a pin punch or piece of music wire the diameter of your rivet hole. Round the end so it doesn't damage the aluminum. Put it in the cordless drill chuck.

Put a set screw style drill stop (that's a "wheel collar" for us model airplane builders) on the wire about 3/8 or 1/2 inch from the rounded end.

Cut a very small round piece of Scorchbrite, maybe 3/8 of an inch diameter. Just larger than the head of the rivet.

Pierce the wire through this small Scotchbrite disk in the middle.

Put the round end of the wire in the rivet hole as a pilot, and turn the small Scotchbrite as you push the tool down onto the aluminum sheet.

This should minimize the scratching and scuffing of the aluminum to a small area around the hole itself.
That's what I suggested post 11. Deburr using drill and 400 grit sandpaper?

pictsidhe

I have a deburrer like the red handle one, various deburring 'drill' bits. I quite often just use a snap off blade knife, though. If I was doing a metal plane, I'd probable take the corners off a wood chisel.

wktaylor

I have always had good experiences deburring holes in aluminum and steel with a ~[3] X Dia 135-degree point drill, very sharp. Start spinning it gently before lightly touching the hole burr. STOP when the ragged edge is gone and the tiniest visible chamfer appears..

A 3/8 Bit will beautifully deburr [break sharp edges] of a 0.094 to 0.161 Dia hole. deburr holes 3/16 and larger with a sharp 135-Deg point 1/2-Dia drill bit.

Also rule of thumb... use a specified drill bit for rivet holes [blinds, solids]; use a close-ream or transition-fit hole-reamer for bolt holes [all bolts including blind-bolts.