• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Death By Fuel Tank Selector Valve

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GESchwarz

In reading through hundreds of NTSB reports I am astonished at the number of fatal accidents that were due to fuel mismanagement at the fuel tank selector valve.

In aviation there are so many ways to kill oneself (and others), so many gotchyas, so many things that have to be remembered; so many things to be overlooked or skipped as a result of common distractions.

As the self-proclaimed safety nut of this forum, I'm always looking for ways to reduce or eliminate these risks.

Can someone please tell me why it is so important that we have such a valve that would limit our access to useable life-giving fuel.

What is the need for the fuel selector valve?

What alternative is there that will not act in any way as a fuel supply shutoff to the engine?

Back