Daydreams and fantasies

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by cavelamb, Sep 4, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 4, 2016 #1

cavelamb

cavelamb

cavelamb

If you had a completely equipped machine shop, stocked with all kinds of exotic materials, what would you build?

This sketch has been in the works for many years and gone through many changes.
    Evolution, if you wish...
    One of my favorite fantasies is the armed attack version!
    The feds get way too excited about that idea. (Oh well)

How about just a fun aircraft to zip around the country-side?

Power here is thought to be a Continental O-470 with constant speed prop.

Without the wing guns there is plenty of room for extended range fuel tankage.
    (but not as much fun!)

Standard A-10 autopilot.

But in the end, just another day dream...

!LR1-A2-02G.jpg

2. Sep 5, 2016 #2

TFF

TFF

TFF

Kind of like the T-14/Fletcher FD-25. If I had everything, I would build a full size Spitfire; build back from perfection.

3. Sep 5, 2016 #3

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

A rocketship, to get off this planet of *insert explitive of your choice here* monkies.

4. Sep 5, 2016 #4

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

How crude!

I would go for something with a Warp Drive, or maybe a Hyperspace Drive.

I actually invented the antigravity drive,l but when I woke up I forgot how it worked!:gig:

DefiantSix likes this.
  5. Sep 5, 2016 #5

TFF

TFF

TFF

Talk to Mr Musk for a ride to Mars.

6. Sep 5, 2016 #6

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

And... I'min the Rockies at 9,000 feet today celebrating the Chinese year of the monkey... so totally agree...

7. Sep 5, 2016 #7

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

[​IMG]

I'd like to set up a little assembly line factory in some empty warehouse space, to mass produce a little Demoschelle like ultralight kit I'd call the Butterfly. Every time I think of the Schindler's list factory scene, I'm thinking... I could do that! (but without the slave labor). My goal would be to sell as many kits of them cheaper and cheaper as possible like Model T's.

Start off with a kit for under $2000... get it down to $1500... and then *really* shop your materials and bum the design hardcore, to shave that last $500 off producing the individual parts that go in the kit, and get it under $999. The idea being that eventually, some broke soul like I use to be (well, like I am now) would eventually be able to pick up a used decent one for under $500.

Would anyone buy them, I don't know, but I got this field of dreams fantasy... if you build it, and list them on ebay and craigslist, they will come.

The kit price would get so low, that even people who already owned some better airplane, would be like, that looks like fun, I'd like to build one and try them... even guys that maybe thought Butterfly was a girlie name.

I'd like to have an in house airbrush artist full time, where all he does is paint random organic multicolorful butterfly wing patterns on the wing fabric, so every one of them would be different, and a fly-in of them in the sky around an airport, or on the ground would look like a congregation of butterflies... and that would help market them even further. No more rainbow stripes on wings or solid blocks of color, but something that really looked... organic... and distinguished them from everything else out there.

After I'm dead, everybody who got their hands on one as their first plane, a stepping stone to something else faster or better perhaps, but that's okay, would be like... thanks CG! Kind of the way I feel about those old scratch built guys Volmer and Kolb and Hummel and all the others that scratched up an airplane of their own to get in the air... and then it became, something others ended up flying. They might be dead, but I'm like... wow, what cool guys, working from the very bottom up, because they faced the same problem I face today... how to get up in the air as cheaply as possible.

There is a Woodhopper about 2 hours from me for sale for $100 bucks, and the guy wrote me yesterday and said, his buyer fell through, and if I'm still interested in it, its mine. That would be my starting point, to look at it and scratch my head and sit down on a drafting board, and from there I'd make changes, throw it periodically into the HBA shark tank, and reincorporate the brutal feedback back into the design.

So.... tempted...

I'm no aerodynamic engineer... plenty of amateur geniuses here though, to hire and send them at least a little check someday for their help... or give them some token paper stock in the enterprise... so they feel part of the crazy experiment, because, well, they were and are.

What I am good at is steering a project, promoting it, and shopping for the lowest price possible in the most untraditional backdoor ways for... anything... I can make pennies scream and beg for mercy.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    steveair2 likes this.
  8. Sep 5, 2016 #8

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

Actually I was thinking of something like the Heart of Gold from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy... or a Tardis... or a Millinium Falcon... or any old decent beat up spaceship from any sci-fi movie... the Nostromo from Aliens to Red Dwarf to Babylon 5 to you name it.

9. Sep 5, 2016 #9

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

DefiantSix and BoKu like this.
  10. Sep 5, 2016 #10

cavelamb

cavelamb

cavelamb

I'd take one of those, choppergirl.
    Maybe two. My wife would want one too.

11. Sep 5, 2016 #11

skier

skier

skier

At $2000, put me down for another one.

12. Sep 5, 2016 #12

cavelamb

cavelamb

cavelamb

ooppss...

13. Sep 5, 2016 #13

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

Lol, dang, pre-orders for vaporware. :) That's a good sign.

Maybe some people would die, this is true, its just the nature of pitting yourself against physical reality to get airborne; maybe some would try to sue me into the ground. These things are true.

But at some point with your dream, you got to get busy living, or get busy dying. And I can't be the only poor soul, that dreams of flying... and hasn't given up...

I think there's an ocean of them out there... all you have to do... is show them... again... the dream... humans were meant to fly. Not just super rich people. All people.

I don't care about getting rich; you're not going to get rich building ultralights. I just want to see people fly. I hope when someday I'm holding my own stick, its just as vast and blue as it is in my dreams.

Maybe I'm just like other humans throughout history, and hear voices in my head, to dare to dream some impossible dreams, and move us all... forward :)

~

I was up in a 68 Ranger Mooney today, that had seen a lot better days. It shaked, it bounced, it skidded through the air like a motorboat, things were broken on it or sketchy, but there wasn't a hint of fear in me. We didn't fly long, because we had to turn around because his iPad map app wasn't working for him, but we flew long enough for me to know just what I want to know... I belong up here. I'm a fish in water up here. This approach and landing is 3x faster than my plane is going to be, and this plane is 10x heavier, and it didn't phase me one bit...

delta likes this.
  14. Sep 5, 2016 #14

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

I do! And I dreamed of an all out go fast machine for years. But reality always finds a way to mess up my dreams and I know that is beyond what I am capable of doing. So in original design world, I limit myself to high wing parasol type planes. When I'm feeling frisky I dream of an enclosed cabin.

15. Sep 5, 2016 #15

cavelamb

cavelamb

cavelamb

If that's what you want...
    http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb/parasol.htm
    Good flyer and an easy mostly-hand-tools build.

But it you have the tools, how about I'll send you drawings.
    Make two, send me one?

16. Sep 5, 2016 #16

cavelamb

cavelamb

cavelamb

What you didn't know was the condition of that forty-eight year old wooden wing spar.

But I hear what you are saying.
    You sound like me in high school.
    My mom finally broke down and bought my first hour of flight instruction for my 15th birthday.
    After that there was no stopping.
    I have no idea how many square miles of airplane skin I washed and polished to get my private ticket.
    There weren't any dirty airplanes on our field!

17. Sep 5, 2016 #17

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator Staff Member

Moderator Note: Moved to "Hangar Flying", as a better fit.

18. Sep 5, 2016 #18

cavelamb

cavelamb

cavelamb

flying hangars, landing spots, bombing flour.
    It's all in a day's work.

So howcome there is no smiley with a leather flying helmet and goggles?

19. Sep 5, 2016 #19

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

I'm more interested in something that I can travel in, which is why I'm leaning toward enclosed cabin. Plus I want to come up with my own design. I'm going to blame it all on Rockiedog for throwing down the gauntlet. He built his all original design and flew it to OSH. I got my work cut out for me!

20. Sep 5, 2016 #20

Pops

Pops

Pops

Are you ready for that much work ? I spend 2 years on the project before I started construction. Hope to be test flying in the spring, but flying it to OSH has no interest, but lots of other places. One is a round trip around the border of the U.S. Have it all planned out.

litespeed and rbrochey like this.