• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Davis DA-2: Never Read Plans-Just bought a Rebuild project (lots of parts and plans)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukem1

Hello,
I'm Duke, I have just purchased a Davis DA-2 project from a gent in Lincoln NE. It came with many of the parts fabricated, (it was once a complete AC), plans, and plans review book. After starting to look at the plans review, I realized I know nothing about reading plans and translating those drawings into safe, accurate, functional sub and assemblies, much less a flying aircraft. But I'm an optimist, I can learn just about anything. I am looking for a website, video, class, or just some mentorship on how to move forward. I am going to start by inventorying all the parts I have, and all my unfabricated materials (sheet metal, cables, etc.) Then move on to organizing my shop to optimize retrieval of a given part and being able to work on that part or those parts.
This project had been stalled for some time with the last owner (actually I am not sure if he had ever begun work on it. So one question I have other than where can I gain enough knowledge, and this questoin relates to something the previous owner told me I should do, is since I live in a humid area (NE Texas), I should oil all my sheets of aluminum unless they are already zinc chromate covered. Is this true? What type oil, should I wipe it off, seems like a messy way to preserve things. Anyway, I'll figure that out. Right now, I just need some direction on learning to read and actualize plans. I know about EAA, but I have not delved too deeply there yet.
Thanks,
Duke
p.s. When I start work, I'll create a webpage and attach the URL here.
Cheers,
D.

Back