Dash/Breaker Labeling

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Tantrum1

Log Member
Hey all, I'm looking to label a few switches, warning lights, and circuit breakers. I'm wondering what every one else is using. I'm looking at possibly trying that waterslide labelling but just looking to see what everyone else has done.
Thanks
Mark

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Depends on the plane. I snagged an old metal Dymo labeler that works with aluminum tape that will look cool for a retro type. (Pic is example, not mine)

1631110660152.png

Daleandee

If you are looking for something quick and easy, but not something that will win an Oshkosh award, try a Brother label printer.
I used a Brother PT-1290 label maker with black on clear tape. Put the labels on my gray powder coated panel. Acceptable enough ...

1631112832802.png

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Also, if you plan your layout ahead of time, custom printed vinyl lettering is very cheap if and only if you get letters on a solid background. Individual letters are quite expensive but custom labels in any color/font/size you want are not. For example….

D918BDC6-AAF7-4942-8A8A-E96BBE78539B.png

N804RV

HBA Supporter
I'm waiting for my DecalProFX starter kit and pouch laminator to be delivered. So far, I've got a little over $200 invested in this. I'll let you know how it works once I get trained up on it. I've been told its a bit of a steep learning curve. But, the results are very impressive.

Tantrum1

Log Member
I'm waiting for my DecalProFX starter kit and pouch laminator to be delivered. So far, I've got a little over $200 invested in this. I'll let you know how it works once I get trained up on it. I've been told its a bit of a steep learning curve. But, the results are very impressive.

I've never heard of this before. I just printed off the instructions and am going to read up on it. Might be worth while.
Thanks
Mark

Tantrum1

Log Member
If you're willing to do the layout, and cut the labels yourself....
Clear laser labels
Just the 1st example I landed on; many sources.
Yeah I seen this kind of thing, I was hoping for something a bit more professional looking. I know its for a race plane but I still like it to look professional and cutting them myself that small might not give me the results I'd like.
Thanks
Mark

rv7charlie

You know best what you want. My thought was to lay out multiple labels to fit a row/group (I was assuming closely spaced switches, breakers, etc), and cut one strip or rectangle that covered the entire group. Unless you overlay the entire panel, there will be edges somewhere. If you need individual labels, you can get dozens of different sizes/shapes of pre-cut labels that are contained in/on a printable sheet. I haven't done waterslide decals since plastic models close to 60 years ago, and I wasn't great with alignment even then. ;-)

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
You can get these 2 tone engraving plates and either CNC cut or laser whatever labels you like. We use them (or a similar product) at work to label equipment.

I'm guessing there's a company who will make them for you, don't have time to research this.

EDIT: This link has a better picture:

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
...I haven't done waterslide decals since plastic models close to 60 years ago, and I wasn't great with alignment even then. ;-)
Same here, until I discovered the secret of dish soap.

dtnelson

HBA Supporter
A trick I learned from a Cozy driver buddy (Bob Bittner)...

- Use whatever tools you like on your computer to lay out and print your desired labels. I've had to print a few to get the spacing just right.
- Take your printout (digital form works best) to your local office supply store, & have them print it out on transparent slides (foils) - BACKWARDS. Yup, most of them still can do that.
- Put white two sided tape on the back of the slide, & cut out your new labels. Apply to the panel.

Pretty cheap, works good, especially good for quick & cheap installations. Here's a picture of a label I did:
Panel label.jpg