• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Darrol Stinton's statement on wing AR(aspect ratio) for minimum induced drag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pierre1

In Darrol Stinton's book 'The design of the aeroplane' page 143, it states that the wing AR of aeroplane around 13 to 15 makes induced drag a minimum while glider induced drag is minimum when wing AR is 40 or more. May I ask why there's a difference? It seems to me that the higher the wing AR, the smaller the induced drag.

Well, I'm not speaking about the other aspects, like the wing structure weight. The topic is only about wing AR and induced drag.

Last edited:
Back