Dariusz Lewek's Gekon glider

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

ypsilon

As some of you know, Darek Lewek built a second version of his already superb Axel sailplane called "Gekon".
Gekon is a ultra light sailplane weighing ~70 kg without and 110 kg with an retractable electric engine.
Performance wise it reaches a max L/D ratio of about 30, will stall at 45-48 km/h, and reach Vne at 160 km/h

He told me, that he is considering to produce a small series of the glider (and probably offer it as a kit). I don't know anything about the price tag of such a kit, but would like to know what this venerable forum thinks about such an ultra-light sailplane kit.
Can this thing be attractive to a reasonable amount of people (what do the folks in the US think?) to justify series production of the ship?
What is missing / should be improved, what would be a reasonable price tag for a kit?

renxxx1981

As some of you know, Darek Lewek built a second version of his already superb Axel sailplane called "Gekon".
Gekon is a ultra light sailplane weighing ~70 kg without and 110 kg with an retractable electric engine.
Performance wise it reaches a max L/D ratio of about 30, will stall at 45-48 km/h, and reach Vne at 160 km/h

He told me, that he is considering to produce a small series of the glider (and probably offer it as a kit). I don't know anything about the price tag of such a kit, but would like to know what this venerable forum thinks about such an ultra-light sailplane kit.
Can this thing be attractive to a reasonable amount of people (what do the folks in the US think?) to justify series production of the ship?
What is missing / should be improved, what would be a reasonable price tag for a kit?
It would be definitely attractive since there is a gap in the market for the sailplane enthusiast who is more hangglider in life... i mean that the price has to be kept reasonable not like the Archaeopteryx or the Silent otherwise all the purpose of a 70kg sailplane -which measn easy operation, low operational costs and so on- fades away. In my mind it should be made as main structures already "closed" in order to avoid structural failure (wings tail feathers and fuselage molded and done) and all the remaining things which require a lot of time such as canopy , wheels, controls etc to be made by owner. It has to be equal or less than a used sailplane with same L/D otherwise there is no reason for it.

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
It would be definitely attractive since there is a gap in the market for the sailplane enthusiast who is more hangglider in life... i mean that the price has to be kept reasonable not like the Archaeopteryx or the Silent otherwise all the purpose of a 70kg sailplane -which measn easy operation, low operational costs and so on- fades away. In my mind it should be made as main structures already "closed" in order to avoid structural failure (wings tail feathers and fuselage molded and done) and all the remaining things which require a lot of time such as canopy , wheels, controls etc to be made by owner. It has to be equal or less than a used sailplane with same L/D otherwise there is no reason for it.
Just from mine point of view - it will be in same are as ariane swift - not yet a glider (zero wind penetration, hard to tow - ie to fast for an aero tow), but bigger and more expensive to hang glider.

Carbon dragon is on same scale too.