• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Danielle's Dakota Hawk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Head in the clouds

I was really pleased the other day when someone posted about their new project, and that it was a Dakota Hawk. They mentioned that Danielle had completed hers and it was now flying and I was delighted to hear it.

I'd always thought it was such a shame that Danielle suddenly stopped posting on her build log as she was so clearly doing some magnificent work on the project and was a great example to us all. And although no-one else can comment on build logs she'd received 'Likes' by the dozens.

Whilst I quite realise that everyone has the right to post their progress here, or not, I had been so much looking forward to seeing it completed that it occurred to me that if it's now flying there may be pictures posted of it elsewhere, so I did a quick net search. I remembered that Danielle mentioned she had reserved an N number so I checked her build log and found the reserved number in post #8 - N5660.

A google search for N5660 produced this Mooney Rocket for sale, apparently with that registration, which seemed a bit strange.

I then had a look at the FAA Registry and N5660 is still shown as being reserved to Danielle and details of a couple of other aircraft that had used the registration number previously and cancelled it.

I don't mean to be nosey if Danielle doesn't want further contact with HBA but if that's the case she certainly didn't give any indications of that, her detailed and almost daily posts just stopped mid-sentence, so to speak, nearly a year ago.

I'm not very knowledgeable about how the FAA Registry works but the Mooney with the same registration as Danielle's reserved number seems a bit odd, and the fact that N5660 is still shown as 'Reserved' would seem to indicate that the plane is not flying yet, wouldn't it?

Can anyone shed any more light on this?

Back