• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Daniel Dalby (APEV) Staggerchel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
Daniel Dalby of APEV in France (Pouchel, Demoichelle, Cubchel, Scoutchel, etc.) has a new (to me) project for a side-by-side, tricycle-gear, staggerwing biplane microlight called Staggerchel.

The prototype is being built by an association called Appel d'Aire ("Call of the Air," which also means a strong draft) that provides inspiration and job skills to young people. There is a FAQ and build journal, both in French, and the journal has many pics but has not been updated recently. Daniel mentioned just last week in the Pouchel Yahoo! Group that the fuselage fabric was being applied, so the kids are still making progress.

Details are limited at this point, but from the FAQ I can glean a few numbers: 250 kg empty, 450 kg gross, 120 kph top speed, 65 kph landing speed, 55 liters of fuel, 3 hours endurance, 200 m takeoff run and 100 m landing rollout. Construction is a mix of aluminum, wood, foam and fabric and it looks like a Rotax 582 or similar two-stroke for power.

From the strut arrangement in the sketch and Daniel's prior practice, I suspect that this one also uses an NACA 23112 airfoil for both the fixed lower wing and the differentially-variable incidence upper wing, which uses the wing halves for roll control rather than ailerons, as used in Daniel's other designs like the Dragon single-seat biplane pictured below. That is actually a nod to Daniel's Pou-de-Ciel heritage since the 23112 was the airfoil recommended by Yves Millien and used by Gilbert Landray and others to reduce pitch trim forces in Mignet types. I am pretty sure that Daniel uses it on all of his designs including the Pouchel series.

staggerchel.jpg DSC01258-1024x768.jpg dragon.jpg

20170503_143459_entoilage_staggerchel_1.jpg 20170503_145504_entoilage_staggerchel_2.jpg DSC02480.jpg DSC02966.jpg

Last edited:
Back