Dan Raymer's book

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Thunderchook

So, I guess that many of you who don't have a degree in Aeronautical Engineering are working from Dan Raymer's book "Simplified Aircraft Design for Homebuilders."

i asked the the wife to put it on the Christmas list.

She must have done some initial investigation because a short while later, she said "You can download a PDF for free!" (Does Dan Rayner even approve of this?)

I go looking for it and the first website I click on send my virus scanner on a hissy fit.
Another website wanted sign-up details. I did an "Is this website a scam?" search and found that it was a bit dodgy.

I thought I'd get the skinny from you guys before I infect myself to 50 viruses, 15 Trojans and a worm or guarantee my details will be passed on to every spammer or Nigerian Scammer.

So, how do do this?
Buy a paper copy or is there a soft copy I can download without p1$$ing off Dr Raymer?

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Re: Dan Rayner's book

Buy a paper copy or is there a soft copy I can download without p1$$ing off Dr Raymer?
Borrow it from Duncan, or buy a copy. It's a cheap education, well worth whatever you pay for it.

Reddit might be a place for pirated stuff. HBA, not so much.

Thunderchook

Borrow it from Duncan, or buy a copy. It's a cheap education, well worth whatever you pay for it.

Reddit might be a place for pirated stuff. HBA, not so much.
Fair enough.
I'm only interested in a freely downloadable version if such a thing is approved by the author. (Sometimes it is - obviously not in this case.)
No intention to rip Dr Raymer off and deprive him of what is owed to him.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member

I'm pretty sure that no freely downloadable copy is approved by the author.

Dana

cheapracer

Log Member

I have tried to download it from the net in which case I would have gotten the payment to Raymer otherwise. I often send a donation even to free downloads, or at least a thank you email - I much appreciate their efforts.

It is very difficult for me to purchase on the net from China, most sites and Paypal type companies ban China transactions - not because I want it for nix.

It is one of the most difficult/policed books I have ever tried to get, and I haven't succeeded yet.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member

I have tried to download it from the net in which case I would have gotten the payment to Raymer otherwise. I often send a donation even to free downloads, or at least a thank you email - I much appreciate their efforts.

It is very difficult for me to purchase on the net from China, most sites and Paypal type companies ban China transactions - not because I want it for nix.

It is one of the most difficult/policed books I have ever tried to get, and I haven't succeeded yet.
That's too bad you can't get a legitimate copy there. Do you have other references you are using in your project?

Himat

Both books?
How many did he write?
He has written at least three books. Aircraft design, Simplified aircraft design for homebuilders and Living in the future. I did find the last a good read. Raymers memoirs of childhood and life to date written and also a lot interesting stories about aeroplane design.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member

So, I guess that many of you who don't have a degree in Aeronautical Engineering are working from Dan Raymer's book "Simplified Aircraft Design for Homebuilders."

i asked the the wife to put it on the Christmas list.

She must have done some initial investigation because a short while later, she said "You can download a PDF for free!" (Does Dan Rayner even approve of this?)

I go looking for it and the first website I click on send my virus scanner on a hissy fit.
Another website wanted sign-up details. I did an "Is this website a scam?" search and found that it was a bit dodgy.

I thought I'd get the skinny from you guys before I infect myself to 50 viruses, 15 Trojans and a worm or guarantee my details will be passed on to every spammer or Nigerian Scammer.

So, how do do this?
Dan Raymer has published two books on airplane design. Aircraft Design: A Conceptual Approach is pretty much the textbook on the first phase of airplane design*, where you go from a set of mission requirements to a shape, weight, and size that will be the lightest, smallest, and hopefully therefore the least-expensive airplane that will meet those mission requirements. This is "Conceptual"-phase design, otherwise known as "configurating." After you complete the work this book describes, you know that you have an airplane that will do what you want of it. The next phase, Preliminary Design takes that known-good configuration and figures out the structures and system to make it work. The last phase, Detailed Design, is where you draft the actual finish parts using whatever system you use - computer or a piece of paper - so that those parts can be manufactured and assembled into the finished airplane. Aircraft Design: A Conceptual Approach does not cover those latter two phases. You'll need other resources for those stages of design.

Simplified Aircraft Design for Homebuilders is a much-simplified, cut-down introduction to the methods used in the larger, more-complete book. It may be sufficient to do the conceptual-phase design work on a very simple light airplane, something in the Volksplane or Cub-alike class. Maybe. In my opinion, it's better used as a good primer on the methods, and as a stepping stone to the full textbook.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no legitimate "electronic" versions available. If you really want the book while "doing the right thing", buy either one through Amazon or Dr. Raymer's website.

*I'm finding General Aviation Aircraft Design by Gudmundsson to be a good conceptual-phase design resource as well, possibly equal in utility to Raymer's books.

Last edited:

pictsidhe

I downloaded an early edition a while back. Since it isn't a cheap book, being able to check it out before buying makes sense to me. I much, much prefer reading a proper paper book and will buy a book if it looks worth getting. Simplified had too much missing, for me.
Now, anybody found a way to get Hovey's Ducted fan book for under $150?

cheapracer

Log Member

addicted2climbing

Log Member
I have both books. I bought the Larger textbook first and it was a bit overwhelming. The smaller book is a good introduction and if you like how the info is presented than buy the large textbook. I bought mine used as they can be spendy. Also To supplement this, I enrolled in an Airframe structures and Aerodynamics class at my local community college. Today is the first day and its been over 20 years since I last attended any type of school class. Im hoping the class will give me a bit more of a structured start to then help understand the large textbook a bit more..

autoreply

I have digital copies of some books, virtually all I also own hard copy*. The ability to search for certain terms is great and I notice that some books I use a lot are almost exclusively used digitally...

My advise; borrow someone's book, buy it if you like it.

*The exceptions are out of print and impossible to lay a hand on a hard-copy

Aesquire

The Gutenberg project has many out of print and more importantly, out of copyright books. Mostly fiction from now deceased authors. Great resource for older works.

For current authors and textbooks I just pay for the brain work. Textbooks can be really pricey but used reads just as well and there are used textbook stores that are connected so you can order books not available locally. Also, Amazon loves me. ;)