• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Dakota Hawk or Super Koala? First build questions....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akwrencher

Ok, after many many years of scheming and dreaming, I think I have found a way to get started on a real live airplane. After falling in love with the VJ 22 sporstman design, I took a closer look at wood construction, which I had previously dismissed. For several reasons this has become my choice for my first build, not the least of which is the fact I live in a Sitka Spruce forest :) I briefly considered a minimax for a first build, but it won't work for me. My 13 year old daughter really want's to be a part of this build, and I can't live with not being able to take her flying someday in the plane we built together. I've looked at all the planes available so many times, and from what I hear the Fisher line has great support and very good plans for first timers.

So the question is this, how much difference in time/complexity is there between a Dakota Hawk and a Super Koala? I'm hoping to hear some first or at least close second hand info on this. Pro's for the SK are it's small size, cheep to opperate, can take off in small spaces (read beaches) etc. Con's, no folding wings and a light wing loading. I live in some pretty rugged country. Can get a little bumpy sometimes. DH pro's, folding wings, more substantial feel, con's slightly longer ground roll, bigger engine = more expense.

Caveats: This will be a scratch built plane. I would like to finish it before my daughter moves out. I have friends here with wood knowledge and lots of wood tools. Also, working on a local source for wood, so the spruce may be a bit cheeper. More on that soon.

I'm leaning towards the DH so far. Please wade in with your experiences that might help the first time builder make this final choice so I can order my plans :)

Thanks in advance for your time and knowledge. Zach

Back