Daiichi Kosho DK 472 engine or not??

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

garrywarber

Well, I got the DK-472 returned from the guy who bought it.. apparently he couldn't get it started, so I offered him a refund.. he said the carb was clogged, and wasn't sure it was getting a spark.. well, now I don't know what to do with it.. don't really have the time to put into it

On the issue of tuned exhaust, I do think you ought to have it for a 2-stroke.. not so much for power perfromance, but to shove some of the unburned fuel-air mixture back into the combustion chamber by the reflected pressure wave.. otherwise, it just consumes too much fuel and pollutes the air excess

On the boxer 200T and 400T engines.. they do look interesting!
However, they don't really seem to be in production..
The guy was using crowd funding to finance the final development efforts, maybe OK, but seems like you could be risking your money on a not-for-sure deal.. ya never know!
So, you are keeping the DK-472 yourself, I guess?
(Who buys an old two-stroke and expects it to just run? Never mind, rhetorical question in bad taste anyway...)
Garry

danmoser

So, you are keeping the DK-472 yourself, I guess?
(Who buys an old two-stroke and expects it to just run? Never mind, rhetorical question in bad taste anyway...)
Garry
I may still try to sell it at a lower price, specifying the need for new carb, ignition & exhaust.. but hardly seems worth the effort.. It would be ideal for someone who already has a DK-472, and could use more parts.

Answer to rhetorical question: someone who needs very high power-to-weight ratio, and is willing to take a chance.

garrywarber

I may still try to sell it at a lower price, specifying the need for new carb, ignition & exhaust.. but hardly seems worth the effort.. It would be ideal for someone who already has a DK-472, and could use more parts.

Answer to rhetorical question: someone who needs very high power-to-weight ratio, and is willing to take a chance.
On the parts thing. Did they make everything in shop, or is there some use of off the shelf parts like is done with my Limbach engines? I could use another opposed like my Limbach for a single engine pusher I have to restore, if it is a fire-sale price... Finding another Limbach has proven that they are scarce. I just read there were about 150 sent into North America, which isn't that many once they get spread around. Probably a good thing right now as I am kind of info. gathering at the moment.

danmoser

On the parts thing. Did they make everything in shop, or is there some use of off the shelf parts like is done with my Limbach engines? I could use another opposed like my Limbach for a single engine pusher I have to restore, if it is a fire-sale price... Finding another Limbach has proven that they are scarce. I just read there were about 150 sent into North America, which isn't that many once they get spread around. Probably a good thing right now as I am kind of info. gathering at the moment.
It's 58mm bore, 47mm stroke.. not the same as Limbach, or any other engine I know of.
From what I've been told, DK did everything themselves..
Supposedly, Parajet took over support after DK folded, but not for long.

garrywarber

It's 58mm bore, 47mm stroke.. not the same as Limbach, or any other engine I know of.
From what I've been told, DK did everything themselves..
Supposedly, Parajet took over support after DK folded, but not for long.
Husqvarna chainsaw big bore kit is 58mm... :) Looks similar, but base porting isn't exact match from what I could tell. It would be a fun project for someone with a fondness for this engine design, and that likes to scrounge around. It is very likely every part is still useable with some TLC.

Lone Star

Sorry for reopening such an old thread but I was wondering if you might still have this engine? If so I might be interested in purchasing it.

Regards,
Michael