• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

D-Box surface coating

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ULF

Hi,
I have bought a halfway finished project of several ULF-1 s. One is pretty much ready for cover, except the wings are not finished yet. Only the D box is built. the ribs are there, but have to be glued on yet, as well as the aileronspar.
Now I noticed, that the inside of the D box was obviousely not surface protected. Only the forward ribs in it are. Every other rib is made of styrofoam, but has a 2 inch diameter hole in it.
According to the plan the 1mm plywood sheeting as well as the sheer web plywood that is on the front of the spar, inside the d- box, should have been coated except where the glue comes.

First I would ask what type of paint should I use? Is it at all necessary to surfaceprotect the inside ? Can I use thinned 2 komponent epoxy, or some mineralspirit based paint ?

And then how to apply it ? I could insert a long aluminum tube with a very fine spray nozzle in front, and mist rather than spray, using air pressure.
Or on a calm summerday I just place the d box vertically and cook some mineral spirit varnish so that the smoke passes through the d box like in a chimney, kind of fuming ?

Thanks guys,
Johannes :)

Back