• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Cylinder and engine paint questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12notes

Supporting Member
I'm stripping the 2-3 layers of paint (orange, silver, and red) off the Global 1/2 VW I'm close to assembling for the Hummelbird I'm building, and wondering what needs paint and what doesn't. The cylinders are steel, so I know I need to paint them. Cylinder heads and valve covers are aluminum, the whole engine weighed 85 lbs, not sure if the block is aluminum or magnesium. Do any of those need to be painted, and is there a recommended paint? I seem to recall Pops stating the valve covers should be painted black to help with heat dissipation, I assume black paint on the cylinders would be good too? I have a can of VHT black engine enamel which is rated for 550 degrees, is that good enough? Should I use primer, or will the paint be fine as is?

I'm not building a show plane, so basic protection is good enough for me.

Back