Quantcast

Cute little bird.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Mac790

Yesterday Careca wrote about interesting Brazilian aerobatic plane CEA-309, built as a UNI project in Brazil, they have more interesting projects there, I really fall in love:) in this little bird, seems like a good competitor for the Ar-5, but in my humble opinion it looks much better. This little bird use Rotax 64hp engine, cruise 307 km/h. But it's probably to small for guy like me (190lbs 6ft 3in), and unfortunately no place for helmet and no roll over structure.

Home page Projeto CEA-308

Check out construction gallery http://www.demec.ufmg.br/Cea/cea308/conseg3.htm

Seb

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

vortilon

That is a nice bird but looks to require a skilled tailwheel pilot. The engine sounded more like a small A-65 rather than a Rotax.

Will Aldridge

Log Member
These guys just took the c1ao record (still unofficial) but pending the FAI's approval it's theirs. They also have the time to climb record and the 100+ km closed course record as well (all still unofficial).

Will Aldridge

Log Member
Here is their news site.

If I did the conversion correctly the 3km closed course record is now 223 mph. You'll have to check the site for the other 2.

iscold

Hello, my name is Paulo Iscold, I am the professor responsible for the CEA-308 Project at UFMG-Brasil. I am glad that it is a subject of this forum. Just to let everybody know, our four records are already official. 3km: 360.13km/h (223.77mph), 15km: 329.09km/h (204.49mph), 100km: 326.75km/h (203.03mph) and time to climb up to 3000m: 8min and 51sec

iscold

The engine is not more a ROTAX 532 (64hp) as used in the first prototype back in 2002. In 2002 we had a engine failure and after that we decide to not use the ROTAX anymore. Now we are using a Jabiru 2200 (80hp). Our engine is completely standard, there are only two parts non-original: the exhaust tubes and the tachometer. Our operation is also very standard reaching only 3300rpm and 155°C of CHT. In fact for the records we had leakage on the two rear cylinder and before each flight we had to re-torque the cylinders heads in order to not loose power. No we are running with two new heads and we are starting to prepare modifications on the engine (but keeping 3300 rpm as limit).

We are running two different Catto Propellers and I must say, they are awesome! Note that the time to climb record wasn't in our "wish-list" and we decide to go for it one week before the schedule date... We did it with the same propeller used on 15km and 100km. If we put a new prop to climb we can destroy this record again!

The construction process is very simple and quite similar to KR-2. Wood frame, Styrofoam and fiber-glass. At the wing, instead of Styrofoam we used PVC foam.

Our empty weight is 196kg, and we are able to carry only 18liters of fuel, enough for 45 minutes of operation at full power.

autoreply

Paulo,

Thnx for the info. Would you like to tell a bit more about the reasoning for this engine choice? I guess the 3300 (120 HP) is too heavy to still set records in the sub 300 kg class?

Vector

What kind of foam did you guys use? Is this the same pink foam sold at US home improvement stores like Home Depot? I am just trying to find out is this is regular insulating foam. Also, what is the thickness of the foam used?

BerndGross

Hey guys, does anybody now if there are plans aviable?
Its just a wonderfull airplane and with this little engines should be not to expensive to build? Ore im on the wrong way?

litespeed

As this was a university design project and world record holder- I really doubt plans would be available. The foam used is a Dow Corning extruded polystyrene and is also know as floatation billet. This foam has no granular structure or bubbles. You might be able to contact Brazil and ask about getting plans if you are very lucky. Phil

topspeed100

Banned
Hello, my name is Paulo Iscold, I am the professor responsible for the CEA-308 Project at UFMG-Brasil. I am glad that it is a subject of this forum. Just to let everybody know, our four records are already official. 3km: 360.13km/h (223.77mph), 15km: 329.09km/h (204.49mph), 100km: 326.75km/h (203.03mph) and time to climb up to 3000m: 8min and 51sec
Excellent job Paolo !

There are doers..and there are dreamers ! You took the new world speed record in that class with staggering 5 mph !

Here is the previous record in wiki;

Further developments

A BD-5A fitted with a Rotax 618UL 74 hp two-stroke, two-cylinder[23] water-cooled engine.[24] holds the current FAI C-1a/0 class speed record (less than 300 kg aircraft) with 351 km/h (just over 218 mph).

litespeed

I have two reactions to this aircraft and the team-

1- Very well done and has proven that my idea of beating the previous record was possible and with a lower stall speed than the AR5 or BD-5.

2- It just made it that much harder for me to beat the record with my own design ideas.

These guys have proven a different path than previous holders is possible and they even had a relatively heavy engine-Jabiru, not a 2 stroke.

I will have to think a bit harder to eclipse this design. It was a ten plus year project for them with a big gap from the rotax to the Jabiru version.

all round a fantastic effort.

As far as the 5mph increase I think this is close to the minimum required to change the record under the FAI rules.

Phil

topspeed100

Banned
I have two reactions to this aircraft and the team-

1- Very well done and has proven that my idea of beating the previous record was possible and with a lower stall speed than the AR5 or BD-5.

2- It just made it that much harder for me to beat the record with my own design ideas.

These guys have proven a different path than previous holders is possible and they even had a relatively heavy engine-Jabiru, not a 2 stroke.

I will have to think a bit harder to eclipse this design. It was a ten plus year project for them with a big gap from the rotax to the Jabiru version.

all round a fantastic effort.

As far as the 5mph increase I think this is close to the minimum required to change the record under the FAI rules.

Phil
You could be right about the speed the AR-5 record was 213 mph and 218 for Bede 5b; The Arnold Company's Homepage ...still a big rise and a "helluva" speed for such a "weak" aeroplane.

Noteworthy is that the output was increased from AR-5 65 hp and BD-5B 74 hp into CEA-308s 80 hp ! It would sound logical that 85-90 hp is needed to go 228-229 mph ( or/and really revolutional aerodynamics and structures for the next contender ).

Lars Giertz assumed to go beyond 300 mph at 100 hp; http://www.webcamsue.nl/vmax.html

---------------

We could also speculate a bit. Let us assume the AR-5 and CEA-308 have the same drag and weight...but hp different then I get data that 19% increase in power meant 4,5% advance in speed. Could we then estimate how much more power AR-5 should have to go another 5 mph faster...altogether 15 mph faster than 213 mph ( AR-5 record ) ?

Last edited:

litespeed

I have always thought that the Simonini 110 hp two stroke was a great candidate for such a aircraft.

It is a similar weight to the 582 rotax, a bit lighter than a jabiru and far more power than either and the gearbox advantage as well.

After much thought this is the ideal engine for max thrust to gain a record speed. It is inline twin watercooled and so has a small frontal area and cooling drag can be optimised.
I really think there is a bit headroom in the record speed to be gained, mainly in the power and thus thrust side.

The V max probe was a amazing machine but with a fatal lack of head protection- such a pity.
Safety aside it certainly has merits.

The one thing I don't like of the CEA-308 is the lack of head protection- far less than the AR-5.

Phil

topspeed100

Banned
Simonini 110 hp engine does look a good candidate; Simonini USA - US Distributor of Simonini Engines and Replacement Parts

--------------------------

Then again...if you wanna go further you could first make the FAI world speed record with 2 x 420 ( UAV engine...4.5 kg each !!! ) twin and a pilot in prone position and use the data to make a real sport class contender with bigger flat fours...these you can really pack tight.

Attachments

Last edited: