• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Cut down case - flywheel drive?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike von S.

Supporting Member
I just picked up my GPAS 2180 flywheel drive kit which I bought from Walter Turk in Shertz, TX. Several years ago Walter, who knew Bruce King, was building a BK1.3 when Bruce decided not to fly anymore for health reasons. Walter bought Bruce’s completed BK1.3. This left him with a partially built fuselage and the GPAS kit. Shortly after, Walter’s health also went south. He sold his partially built BK1.3 to another builder, and sold Bruce’s old plane to Gary King (no relation) in Virginia.
Anyway, as many of you probably know, Bruce designed the BK1.3 to be powered by a flywheel drive VW, and GPAS advertises their flywheel drive 2180 kit as being suitable for the BK1.3.
Bruce King did a remarkable job of documenting his BK1.3 plans, including hundreds of pages of step by step instructions and photos. However, nothing (that I’ve seen) about building the engine itself. Also, Steve Bennett’s engine building manual and DVDs say nothing about the flywheel drive configuration, except to ignore instructions relating to the ForceOne hub.
Walter tells me that to install the starter and alternator at the flywheel end, Bruce cut down that end of the case.
Pops, is that what you are doing on your build?
Anyone else have insight?
Thanks

Back