Cut down case - flywheel drive?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Mike von S.

I just picked up my GPAS 2180 flywheel drive kit which I bought from Walter Turk in Shertz, TX. Several years ago Walter, who knew Bruce King, was building a BK1.3 when Bruce decided not to fly anymore for health reasons. Walter bought Bruce’s completed BK1.3. This left him with a partially built fuselage and the GPAS kit. Shortly after, Walter’s health also went south. He sold his partially built BK1.3 to another builder, and sold Bruce’s old plane to Gary King (no relation) in Virginia.
Anyway, as many of you probably know, Bruce designed the BK1.3 to be powered by a flywheel drive VW, and GPAS advertises their flywheel drive 2180 kit as being suitable for the BK1.3.
Bruce King did a remarkable job of documenting his BK1.3 plans, including hundreds of pages of step by step instructions and photos. However, nothing (that I’ve seen) about building the engine itself. Also, Steve Bennett’s engine building manual and DVDs say nothing about the flywheel drive configuration, except to ignore instructions relating to the ForceOne hub.
Walter tells me that to install the starter and alternator at the flywheel end, Bruce cut down that end of the case.
Pops, is that what you are doing on your build?
Anyone else have insight?
Thanks

Mike von S.

Yes, I’m hoping Gary King can supply one. Essentially, Walter described it as squared off nearly down to the seam above the bolt holes.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I just picked up my GPAS 2180 flywheel drive kit which I bought from Walter Turk in Shertz, TX. Several years ago Walter, who knew Bruce King, was building a BK1.3 when Bruce decided not to fly anymore for health reasons. Walter bought Bruce’s completed BK1.3. This left him with a partially built fuselage and the GPAS kit. Shortly after, Walter’s health also went south. He sold his partially built BK1.3 to another builder, and sold Bruce’s old plane to Gary King (no relation) in Virginia.
Anyway, as many of you probably know, Bruce designed the BK1.3 to be powered by a flywheel drive VW, and GPAS advertises their flywheel drive 2180 kit as being suitable for the BK1.3.
Bruce King did a remarkable job of documenting his BK1.3 plans, including hundreds of pages of step by step instructions and photos. However, nothing (that I’ve seen) about building the engine itself. Also, Steve Bennett’s engine building manual and DVDs say nothing about the flywheel drive configuration, except to ignore instructions relating to the ForceOne hub.
Walter tells me that to install the starter and alternator at the flywheel end, Bruce cut down that end of the case.
Pops, is that what you are doing on your build?
Anyone else have insight?
Thanks
I cut down the flywheel end of the case but left some of the metal for strength. IF, I use a alternator it will be driven from the pulley end. Have some parts made for a mag mount on the pulley end. I cut the center of a VW flywheel from Bob Hoover's plans and the prop hub from his plans is about 1/2 finished. Need to get back on the engine. Been building the new fuselage for the SSSC. After its finished, I'll get back to finishing the engine for it.

Mike von S.

Dan, thanks. Yes I remember in an earlier post you mentioned putting your mag and possibly an alternator on the pulley end. Are you intending a starter on the flywheel?
Any chance you might post a pic of your cut down case?

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Dan, thanks. Yes I remember in an earlier post you mentioned putting your mag and possibly an alternator on the pulley end. Are you intending a starter on the flywheel?
Any chance you might post a pic of your cut down case?
Building as light weight as possible. Plan on a mag and maybe a small John Deere alternator for power for the dual ignition. No starter or large heavy battery, I use a small 12volt X 7 amp , model airplane starting batter to power the handheld radio and electric elevator trim servo. Plan on also using it for when I want to use the second ignition and the small alt to keep the battery up in charge.

Attachments

Mike von S.

Pops, thanks for the pics. Very interesting. So you've cut down the top of the case at the flywheel basically to save weight? possibly also to fit the cowling?
Any tricks to cutting the case? I've heard magnesium does nasty things if it gets too hot!

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Pops, thanks for the pics. Very interesting. So you've cut down the top of the case at the flywheel basically to save weight? possibly also to fit the cowling?
Any tricks to cutting the case? I've heard magnesium does nasty things if it gets too hot!
Yes, save weight and fit behind the nose bowl . Just use a saw and clean the cut with a file.

Last edited: