Cut case 1/2 VW oil drain?

Discussion in 'Half VW' started by FritzW, Jul 13, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 13, 2019 #1

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

With a cut case how do you handle the oil drain plug and the oil screen? ...I've duckduckgo'd to the end of the internet and couldn't find out how it's done.

P.S. I'm not looking for a debate on full case vs. cut case, I just need to know what happens to the drain plug and oil screen when you cut the case.

Thanks

2. Jul 13, 2019 #2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

FritzW likes this.
  3. Jul 13, 2019 #3

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I'd have said you just didn't look hard enough, but there doesn't seem to be any good photos or descriptions? I even went through my files and didn't find anything.

The first generation of these used nothing more than the original sump plate that was cut about in half with a little flange added that could be sealed with silicone against the back plate. When we discovered that this didn't leave enough oil volume the pickup tube got extended into a small mini sump of what ever configuration each builder decided worked for them - sometimes nothing more than a length of muffler/exhaust tube welded on. (Use a hole saw to remove the drain plug section of the cut and flanged sump plate then weld the 2 bits to each end of the tube.)

The sump screen on the VW is pretty useless. It just stops the big bits once things get so bad the pump might get jammed up. Just put a magnet in the sump to catch any 'fuzz'.

FritzW likes this.
  4. Jul 13, 2019 #4

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Thanks guys,

Armed with Joe's link I found this:
    5.jpg

Hot Wings and Vigilant1 like this.
  5. Jul 13, 2019 #5

Pops

Pops

Pops

If you look in the upper right hand corner of the picture of the bottom of my 4 cylinder VW engine you will see the aluminum sump with a 1/8" pipe thread drain plug. It is sticking down through the aluminum air baffle below the fins on the bottom of the case. I welded an extension to the pickup tube to go down in the sump.
    DSCF0033.JPG