Curtiss-Stinson Special

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Tiger Tim

No reason you can’t also lay out your fuselage design full scale on brown craft paper on your kitchen floor then roll it up for later. Could build tail feathers and wing ribs while you wait to get your shop back too.

J.L. Frusha

Supporting Member
Actually, we have too many indoor pets (pests?), to use the kitchen floor. I might be able to do some of that in the current shop space.
Wings will be mostly foam and fiberglass with Ceconite covering.

J.L. Frusha

Supporting Member
Bought and adapting plans for the Rag Wing RW9. Probably going to use Yellow Pine (home treated and dried). Treatment will be similar to the vacuum process used for wood knife cabs, using something like Urethane Spar Seal, or Thompson's Water Seal. Process will impregnate far deeper than mere topical application. It's a trick I learned from an older Navy Veteran that held a patent on a more comfortable porch swing. Drying will be with the wood stickered in an Oxford (UK) Solar Kiln. I have plans for a fairly accurate adapter for a Volt/Ohmmeter, to check moisture content.

TFF

Glue will be useless if you use Thompson’s. That’s one reason airplanes are varnished after. Let the glue do it’s thing before being sealed to get the best joint. Seal the wood before glue, especially with oil based products, you might have something only suitable for yard art.

Fiberglassworker

If you are planning on using yellow pine, home treated and dried, then be sure to heat the wood to at least 200 to 280 degrees Fahrenheit to kill the eggs of powder post beetles.

J.L. Frusha

Supporting Member
Stock JN-4D's didn't have lower wing ailerons. Canadian built JN-4C's had lower wing ailerons and half the stagger. However, nothing stock about the wings in the photo. The upper wings could be Canuck lowers with ailerons shortened one bay. The lower wings appear to be the same with one bay removed from the root.

Photo appears to show a Canuck rudder. Common swap.

You ready to buy some EB Jenny plans?
Beyond ready. Both offers, so far, came with partial builds. I need just plans.

J.L. Frusha

Supporting Member
As of now, all of my projects and dreams are on a long-term freeze.

My wife had Pneumonia, developed an Embolism which broke up, causing extensive brain damage as Emboli Strokes.

I would greatly appreciate thoughts and prayers to help wake her and make her responsive. Otherwise, she'll be in a nursing facility for the rest of her life.

We're in the ICU @ Seton Hospital in Austin, Texas.

Thanks in advance,
Jeffrey L. Frusha

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA

My wife had Pneumonia, developed an Embolism which broke up, causing extensive brain damage as Emboli Strokes.

I would greatly appreciate thoughts and prayers to help wake her and make her responsive. Otherwise, she'll be in a nursing facility for the rest of her life.

Thanks in advance,
Jeffrey L. Frusha
You have our prayers and sympathy. May this Sunday bring light, joy and hope into your world both now and extending forward. Peace be with both you, your wife and extended family.

Thanks in advance,
Jeffrey L. Frusha
I am so sorry for your situation. We will continue to pray for an think of your wife and your (temporarily?) crushed dreams. Stay positive and look for the best outcome.