Curtiss Robin redux?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Autodidact

How about a homebuilt experimental Curtiss Robin? With a 300 hp v8 and airboat gearbox you would have an aircraft with the same power loading as a 450 hp DHC Beaver (about 11.6 lb/hp with a 2,000 lb useful load) and a wing loading of about 15.5 lb/ft^2 compared to the Beaver's 20.4 lb/ft^2. Since it would be a practical aircraft, it could be simplified or refined somewhat instead of trying to be a replica of a nice vintage machine; for example, maybe you could add flaps to the wing, give it a larger door for loading bulky objects, or change the wing structure to aluminum or partially aluminum as on Piper Super Cubs. I think it would make a pretty nice and practical bush plane, but not a money earner unfortunately. Build one, move to Alaska, and you'd never have to hike 4 miles to ride the railroad into Anchorage!

FritzW

Log Member
The Robin has always been on my favorites list. I like practical airplanes so I think it's pretty, especially the cockpit.

I was thinking smaller though. I think the popular "tube and gusset" WW-1 replica fleet could be expanded to include golden age airplanes like the Robin. ...something about the size of a VP-1, VW powered, tube and gusset, 1+1 seating with lots of room for camping gear.

TFF

I can get ahold of a rib jig. A friend restored one. Actually the oldest one. Big airplane. His is OX5 powered.

WBNH

I was going to say the same thing as Fritz...

...Robert Baslee of Airdrome Aeroplanes did a neat Spirit of St. Louis. It would be mostly cosmetic changes to take that design, use an inline engine like the Aeromomentum Suzuki, and make a cub-sized tandem version of the Robin.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
The old Alco Sportplane from the "Flying and Glider Manual" reprints has a baby Curtiss Robin air about it, that might be a good place to start.

niles.jpg curtrob_ox5.jpg

Autodidact

There seem to be quite a few of these things still around, which is kind of amazing; I wonder if you could resurrect the type certificate? Would an o540 be the right engine?

Re the Alco (ALCOR?), make a pop riveted fuselage or do it in wood like the original, and the rest could be Legal Eagle or Stewart headwind or some other similar.

PTAirco

I looked at that airplane with the same ideas. Automotive V8 and airboat gearbox. Would make an awesome traveling airplane as far as vintage-type aircraft go. Not fast, no, but you can haul lots of stuff in comfort and style.

Loads of room in there for a V8 conversion:

CR.jpg