Current state of Great Plains Aircraft?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

MarineAviator

Well I is southern! I seen what I did there and seen (saw) what you did too ... but down here we use saw as a tool to cut wood with! That's how I becomes a pyle it (or is that pile it) *ahem* pilot! My brother cuts the wood with a saw and I pilot! It's quite a scene! :popcorn:
Awesome reply. Thank You! Yes I know I have only posted twice, I just recently found this forum and obviously I'm interested in aircraft. I don't have plans or a kit (yet). I would like to build a Panther, Onex or Hummel H5. I posted what I did because I 'seen' a fellow South Carolinian. 🙋🏼‍♂️

Last edited:

Aviacs

But I am interested in why they are here i.e. what are they flying, what are they building, what projects do they have on the table, do you have a set of plans, do they have questions or something to contribute,
Well darn, i kind of resemble that remark.
Incorporated flying club, couple decades, operate '39 J3, '46 C140
Have owned C175, current project Sonerai 2 low wing.
Current (daily work) project for Sonerai is building oven to blow raised canopy.
In between wife's imperative for me to be working on the house & restoring her antique Brunswick pool table, and her 72 Triumph MC.
Professional woodwhacker and manual machinist past retirement age; monthly SS stipend allows slightly more play time than full time working years.

Question Re OP: What is the wall thickness of the Lowes' stuff ?
Do they list alloy somewhere? (FWIW, i can take a tube mic and probably research, but wondered if if was already known)
The automotive linked wall is listed as .080 - sounds heavy? listed as 304.

Thanks!
smt

Daleandee

Awesome reply. Thank You! Yes I know I have only posted twice, I just recently found this forum and obviously I'm interested in aircraft. I don't have plans or a kit (yet). I would like to build a Panther, Onex or Hummel H5. I posted what I did because I 'seen' a fellow South Carolinian. 🙋🏼‍♂️
I saw what you did there. You said "Panther" so you must be OK! :cool:

dog

I just made it official, from now on, we will judge a persons IQ on math skills and not verbal skills.
Now that is going to shock a lot of people.

I had to go to speech class before starting school in the first grade. I was taught to read before school , but had a lot of problems with speech.
There is a disconnect between my mind and being able to talk . My youngest son and my father had the same problem. Both extremely high in math. I was sort of left out to a certain extent. Both had photographic memories , they memorized everything they read. Youngest son was doing 12 grade work at 12 years old.
I dont know Pops, you tell some great stories.
Some are gems.
One in particular where you describe a day in the shop ,setting out to do one thing and then
getting sidetracked a dozen times doing some thing else that needed done.
Math and the ability to focus are central to building an aircraft and fly it safely.
But its the ability to tell storys that gets the next bunch hooked,easy to pick the likely ones
out,saucer eyes,a bit tounge tied

challenger_II

"Seen" is proper English, below the Mason-Dixon Line. "Seed" tells just how FAR back in the sticks you come from! :)

To use in context: " I seed it, but I ain't believing it!"

challenger_II

If you are referring to the bath tube grab bars, the Glacier Bay variety is .050" wall.

Question Re OP: What is the wall thickness of the Lowes' stuff ?
Do they list alloy somewhere? (FWIW, i can take a tube mic and probably research, but wondered if if was already known)
The automotive linked wall is listed as .080 - sounds heavy? listed as 304.

Thanks!
smt

Aviacs

If you are referring to the bath tube grab bars, the Glacier Bay variety is .050" wall.
Yes.
Sounds like useful/37% weight savings (over .080 wall), will have to measure lengths and calculate if that is a significant absolute wt value.
Should be, based on duplicating current configuration.
.DSC_0011.JPG
Good to have the option.
Thanks!

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Yes, they are .050 wall thickness. Wish they were .032 or .040 to save a little weight. I did a search for some pre-bent 1 1/2" and 1 1/4" SS tubing but couldn't find any with a wall thickness less than .050.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I dont know Pops, you tell some great stories.
Some are gems.
One in particular where you describe a day in the shop ,setting out to do one thing and then
getting sidetracked a dozen times doing some thing else that needed done.
Math and the ability to focus are central to building an aircraft and fly it safely.
But its the ability to tell storys that gets the next bunch hooked,easy to pick the likely ones
out,saucer eyes,a bit tounge tied

I didn't think anyone remembers that one.

don january

Log Member
Are you kidding Dan :D Every time I go out to the shop and can't remember what I came out for I think of that story.