Current state of Great Plains Aircraft?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Daleandee

Yes, thats a biggie no with the FAA now. I put one on the engine mount on the JMR for the FAA inspection to see if he would catch it. He did.

Oddly enough I have used a few but always put a barrier tape under them. The DAR for any inspection I've ever had done (three so far) has never said a word about them. I now use mostly Adel clamps ...

Dillpickle

Pops has got what it takes to make through the apocalypse! My parents were like him, God bless. I grew up with "Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Or do without!" If home depot or lowes is too plebian for you, this link has everything you need to make intake and exhaust except the flanges someone else already linked to: DSM Intercooler Piping
And if nuclear war strikes, I want pops as my neighbor.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter

Daleandee

I grew up with "Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Or do without!"
Many of us grew up learning the phrase, "waste not, want not." I do admire Pops for the inspiration he gives to all, not just in homebuilding but life in general ... no doubt he'd be a great neighbor! But I suspect he'd also expect you to be smart and able to pull your own weight.

As for the intake and exhaust trick ... years ago at one of the American Sonex Association gatherings I seen a Corvair conversion (before they were popular on Sonex aircraft) that had the exhaust done from stainless steel handicap handrails. It was well done and I took that trick with me when I left but haven't needed to use it yet.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Pops, just to be clear, you are using something like this to fabricate your exhausts and/or intakes?

Yes, and enlarge the flange hole on the end to fit the head stud, trim the flange to the shape of the exhaust gasket and mark and drill for the other stud hole and cut to length and bolt on. I cut to 9.5" and with the windows off and door down and latched never get any smell of the exhaust.

n45bm

There are flanges that come with the handrails. Just had to drill a new hole and shape the OD to suit the exhaust gasket.

Also made the intakes from the SS handrails
I like it, I LIKE it! Simplify and minimize. If you toss it up in the air and falls, it's probably too heavy.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Drawing of part of the intake manifold. I used the 1.25" SS bathroom handrail material but for a larger engine than the 1835 cc and still use single port heads , you should use 1 3/8" dia. That size will have to be ordered pre-bent.

If you have to use the dual port heads use 1 1/2" dia on 2180 up.

Attachments

Daleandee

I thought, "This guy must be southern." when I SAW that you said you 'seen' a zip tie. Yep there it is , SC. Fellow SC-linian here.
Well I is southern! I seen what I did there and seen (saw) what you did too ... but down here we use saw as a tool to cut wood with! That's how I becomes a pyle it (or is that pile it) *ahem* pilot! My brother cuts the wood with a saw and I pilot! It's quite a scene! :popcorn:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Well I is southern! I seen what I did there and seen (saw) what you did too ... but down here we use saw as a tool to cut wood with! That's how I becomes a pyle it (or is that pile it) *ahem* pilot! My brother cuts the wood with a saw and I pilot! It's quite a scene! :popcorn:
You talk just like I do. :) My wife has tried to teach me, but she gave up and told me that I'm not trainable.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I just made it official, from now on, we will judge a persons IQ on math skills and not verbal skills.
Now that is going to shock a lot of people.

I had to go to speech class before starting school in the first grade. I was taught to read before school , but had a lot of problems with speech.
There is a disconnect between my mind and being able to talk . My youngest son and my father had the same problem. Both extremely high in math. I was sort of left out to a certain extent. Both had photographic memories , they memorized everything they read. Youngest son was doing 12 grade work at 12 years old.

Daleandee

I just made it official, from now on, we will judge a persons IQ on math skills and not verbal skills.
Well my rating is really gonna take a dive now!

I've noticed lately a couple of folks that only have a post or two that never introduce themselves and appear to like taking a shot at others. That's OK as I'm not very fragile.

But I am interested in why they are here i.e. what are they flying, what are they building, what projects do they have on the table, do you have a set of plans, do they have questions or something to contribute, or did they just come here to make statements about the faults they find in others? :confused:

OK ... rant over ... for now! ;)

Daleandee

Found the secret formula to getting through to GP: call Hummel Engines, and have THEM order the parts. Took Scott all of two minutes to have my parts coming. I guess One has to have a certain level of financial expenditure to get GP moving...
That piece of information is quite valuable! Thanks!

BJC

HBA Supporter
Well my rating is really gonna take a dive now!

I've noticed lately a couple of folks that only have a post or two that never introduce themselves and appear to like taking a shot at others. That's OK as I'm not very fragile.

But I am interested in why they are here i.e. what are they flying, what are they building, what projects do they have on the table, do you have a set of plans, do they have questions or something to contribute, or did they just come here to make statements about the faults they find in others? :confused:

OK ... rant over ... for now! ;)
I now mostly ignore people who post here but choose not to fill out the “about me” information.

BJC