Current state of Great Plains Aircraft?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Map

Update: I talked to Art from GPAS today. He said he is very busy and his wife is in hospital (and apparently has been there for a while). So it is understandable that he is not all that responsive to new customers. I would say if you need to get hold of him use the phone. His wife used to answer emails, and he normally does not seem to check them.

Tipsynipper

I bought a couple of Force 1 hubs through Scott, paid more than GPAS, but at least I got them in reasonable time. Good guy to deal with. Where he gets them from I don't know, maybe he has a direct line to GPAS!
The 82mm crankshaft I got from a car VW supplier, and had the nose ground to accept the taper of the force 1 hub. All other parts came from the same car engine supplier.
I had a new case in stock, which I have had machined for the force 1 hub.
Heads came from same source, but I built the jig and tooling I needed to machine the second plugs.
All done and shortly building it.

challenger_II

At least you got his voice mail: each time I have called, the mail box has been full.

So, that being said, a question to the Group:

I am in desperate need of something similar to the GP U-Weld-It exhaust kit, in 1 1/2".
Any suggestions as to where I can source something like this?

QUOTE="Mike von S., post: 590215, member: 105348"]
I called three times over the course of a week, never spoke to a human, left a message each time, never got a call back. I give up.
[/QUOTE]

Pops

Supporting Member
Ummm... Ummm... Ummmnnnn...

You have a source for stainless flanges? :)
Perhaps, the National Airplane Parts Association (NAPA)? :)

Pops, you are a treasure!
There are flanges that come with the handrails. Just had to drill a new hole and shape the OD to suit the exhaust gasket.

Also made the intakes from the SS handrails

Attachments

• DSCF0004.JPG
    DSCF0004.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 84
  • DSCF0013.JPG
    DSCF0013.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 80

karmarepair

Supporting Member

dwalker

Supporting Member
Doesn't CB still offer thier SS header/exhaust kit? Last Formula Vee exhaust I built I bought the tubing from ACE Stainless, Vibrant, and the flanges from one of the VW dune buggy/hot rod suppliers.

Pops

Supporting Member
Did you put gaskets around the plug wires to seal up the plenum?

Very sanitary installation. Well played, Pops.
No, I had trouble keeping the CHT and Oil temp up to normal operating temps. IF the OAT's was 70 degs or below, I unhooked the two 2" air ducts to the oil cooler.

Pops

Supporting Member
Well I thought so too until I seen a *gasp* zip tie on the motor mount! Oh No! What we gonna do now?? :eek:

;)
Yes, thats a biggie no with the FAA now. I put one on the engine mount on the JMR for the FAA inspection to see if he would catch it. He did. Always have to have an easy find to justify their inspection. Another problem was one of the safety wires on the prop bolts had a slight bow in it meaning it was not taunt enough. Wanted me to re do it. Have to make them feed good when they leave.

challenger_II

Ummm... Ummm... UMMMNNN!!!!

Other than getting a good dose of Blat! Blat! Blat! and a whiff of burnt avgas (a heavenly stench!) occasionally, THAT sir, is an elegant solution!
When I crawl off the tractor, tomorrow, I am headed to the Big City, and hit the Box Store!

Pops, you are STILL a treasure! :)

There are flanges that come with the handrails. Just had to drill a new hole and shape the OD to suit the exhaust gasket.

Also made the intakes from the SS handrails