• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Current Limiter In Starter Circuit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBuilt101

I am running a pusher with two Optima batteries... one in the nose and one in the back under the back seat. I will have a Bus Tie located at the back battery box. To reduce weight, I want the 2 AWG cable that connects the nose battery to the Bus Tie to serve both as the conductor used to connect the two batteries and also the conductor that the second alternator uses to get the power to the front battery so therefore this 2 AWG cable will be hot all of the time including starting because the front battery will need to carry the start loads.

Since it is such a long run I want to protect the wire with a current limiter however I do not want to design in protection that might fail during the time when the back battery is dead and the front battery is starting the engine.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Bill Hunter

Back