cup holders

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

skip SMITH

I'm wondering why I don't see cupholders built in to center consoles, is it because like me, the need to pee would be more often had I been more hydrated? MY boat has a lot of them. I want to put one in my plane but haven't seen very many . Is it profiling as we are mostly older?

TFF

A boat you can jump over the side or just go over the side. How is a bottle more civilized in a boat? Maybe in dry dock.

Airplane, friend warned me that any half full oil bottles were not oil. Most people doing the flying are too preoccupied to worry about that. Passengers, who cares about passengers.

Cirrus have cup holders, probably Bonanzas do. The plus of a Cirrus or any open to the back cargo is built in lav. A friend was flying another friend and wife somewhere, and the wife had to go. Guys in front, girl in back. She stealthy crawled over and used one of those pee sacks. They asked her a question and she didn’t answer. She had taken off her headset. They look back to an empty seat. Finally her head popped up; for a moment they thought the rapture had come and they were left. Cup holder on a Cub? How long is a Cub flight? Beech 18s have a relief tube.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Cup holders? Cups and the occasional bumpy air makes for an awful mess. Maybe a bicycle water bottle or a Camelback, as they seal and do not need to stay upright. You want a cupholder for your water bottle? Build it and put it in.

I am used to the birds being pretty crowded in front. I place the water bottle or screwcap soda on the floor of the back seat or hand it to a non-flying pax.

Billski

Pops

Log Member
I owned a Cherokee for many years and my wife and I did a not of traveling in it. I made 2 cup holders out of 1/8" aluminum that bolted under the lower instrument panel flange. They swung under the panel when not used and had a bent up tab that stopped it from going to far under the panel and also to used as a handle in swinging the cup holders out to use. They were used a lot.

PredragVasic

Right!

There should be no reason why homebuilders couldn't, or wouldn't fabricate some cupholders. There are zillions of possible solutions for placement, shape, the mechanics (folding/collapsing/pull-out, etc), and it is without question that both pilots and passengers tend to get thirsty on cross-country flights and like to have a drink of something.

The thing is, overwhelming majority of small airplanes in service today have been built before 1990. In those times, we simply didn't have the concept of a cupholder; not in our cars, or in any other places. The first indications of some thought on cupholders in cars appeared in a Plymouth minivan in mid-1980s (indentations on the console, to indicate a good place to set down a cup).

We are simply not used to having cupholders in cockpits, so hardly any builder ever thinks about fashioning a cupholder somewhere. It isn't an engineering challenge, and there are plenty of easy ways to do it.

robertl

I'm wondering why I don't see cupholders built in to center consoles, is it because like me, the need to pee would be more often had I been more hydrated? MY boat has a lot of them. I want to put one in my plane but haven't seen very many . Is it profiling as we are mostly older?
My 1966 Cessna has ash trays but no cup holders.
Bob

Bill-Higdon

Right!

There should be no reason why homebuilders couldn't, or wouldn't fabricate some cupholders. There are zillions of possible solutions for placement, shape, the mechanics (folding/collapsing/pull-out, etc), and it is without question that both pilots and passengers tend to get thirsty on cross-country flights and like to have a drink of something.

The thing is, overwhelming majority of small airplanes in service today have been built before 1990. In those times, we simply didn't have the concept of a cupholder; not in our cars, or in any other places. The first indications of some thought on cupholders in cars appeared in a Plymouth minivan in mid-1980s (indentations on the console, to indicate a good place to set down a cup).

We are simply not used to having cupholders in cockpits, so hardly any builder ever thinks about fashioning a cupholder somewhere. It isn't an engineering challenge, and there are plenty of easy ways to do it.
Yes but PC's had them for a long time but the recently got disconnected :cool:

dwalker

I have thought about it. In the Dragonfly I could probably get away with a removable cupholder for solo flights, otherwise what good is a passenger if they can't hang on to a refreshing beverage for me?
In the Long-EZ a hydration bladder and accompanying relief tube is more likely than just a cup holder.

12notes

Log Member
I'm going to build a camelback holder into the back of the seat on mine, doesn't help if you like a lot of variety in your hydration, but I rarely drink anything except water.

dwalker

I'm going to build a camelback holder into the back of the seat on mine, doesn't help if you like a lot of variety in your hydration, but I rarely drink anything except water.
Much as I love my camelbaks and Source hydration systems, they are less than awesome at keeping cold drinks cold. Maybe should look into the drink systems as used in endurance racing.