Cub rear seat attachment

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

PTAirco

I can't believe with all the amount of Cub-stuff on the net I can't find a picture or drawing of the how the top of the rear seat sling is attached to the fuselage.

Anybody out there near a genuine J3 that can snap some pictures? I sat in that seat often enough but I never really looked behind there. Thanks in advance.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
My memory is that they were originally laced through grommets, and later some PMA replacements used snaps? Been years since I had mine, so this is dim, age-corroded memory.

Cubman

Hi PT, sorry no pictures or detail as I can't get to my machine or my copies of Cub Clues (due to the Enmerdeur en Chef Macr*n and the Enculeur en Chef J*hnson)
Take a look at the Univair seat back on their web shop. It has 2 sleeves at the top for 2 strips of aluminium. The topmost sleeve and strip are wrapped over the top curved tube and the two sleeves are then joined by set screws, large washers and nuts. The top of the seat will have to be notched and the ally strip cut into two to avoid the little brace between the seat tube and baggage frame. From memory I used 6 (or 8 )panhead screws. The fabric will of course have to be slit to size too
That should at least get you going.
Cubman

pjphilli

HBA Supporter
Cub Clues issue #122 has discussion/process on this. Was just looking at it few weeks ago seeking relevance returning a J5 closer to 1940. If you try "Piper J3 Cub Aviation Airplane Forum" (there's a few forums, that one is more technical and no drama) you should find it quick in a thread search. Good Luck!

PTAirco

Tried all of the above. no luck. Pretty amazing considering how much Cub stuff is on the net.

It looks to me there ought to be two metal strips and something - metal or canvas - should loop over the curved rear crossmember to support the seat. The project i was given doesn't appear to have anything of that nature in it.

I'll keep looking.

pjphilli

HBA Supporter
Sir, if you go to the J3 forum specifically named above, type "rear seat sling", you will see several strings with years of wisdom, pictures, and most important "what not to do" like drilling the rear curved fuselage
tube. It's also described by Clyde Smith (AKA The Cub Dr.) in issue #122. Tomorrow I'll be able to dig out #122, scan relevant think it's 2-pages, and get it to you in some fashion, direct or personal email.

pjphilli

HBA Supporter
Correct forum Yes, the best thread is titled "Seat Sling" posted Jan 13 2021 (Pulled it up, its on my other screen as I type). This thread describes how to slice and splice the fabric behind the tube, poking holes to feed bolts, links to other threads within the forum with more write ups, etc. Here's #122, this should help. Hope you can find the threads...

Attachments