Crowdfunding the Epic

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Jon Ferguson

Hi guys I am trying my hand at crowdfunding to see if I can raise money for my plane and lessons. People crowdfund all kinds of things nowadays and it occurred me that accomplishing my lifelong dream of building and flying a plane was probably as valid as any of them. I plan to make documentary video of the journey. Hope you will share this with your friends:

Thanks for everything!
Jon

kent Ashton

I don't know why anyone would fund this. You are a Coastguardsman, you said. Fund it yourself. Military people make decent saleries. ( i spent 20 years on active duty). What is it with people asking for money, with no skills, no builder history an not even a pilot?

Jeez, go ask your Mom.

Jon Ferguson

I don't know why anyone would fund this. You are a Coastguardsman, you said. Fund it yourself. Military people make decent saleries. ( i spent 20 years on active duty). What is it with people asking for money, with no skills, no builder history an not even a pilot?

Jeez, go ask your Mom.
I have been funding it myself up to this point, mostly, my lessons too. I understand your point of view and thank you for your service sir.

pictsidhe

My income is currently a fraction of yours and probably will remain so until you retire. I am going to start a life and business in a foreign country so that's going to eat resources that are already low. We should be up to the poverty level income within a year, 6 months if things actually go to plan for a change, then things get a bit easier. My aviation plans are to design and build an inexpensive ultralight over the next several years, then teach myself to fly it. Total cost should be lowish 4 figures. It called living within your means. I can't think why total strangers would pay me to have fun, much as I'd like them to.

I suspect that you'll get a small amount of money and a lot of bad feeling if you go with this idea.

I do support two artists in a very small way via Patreon, I've been enjoying their online art for years. I had a look at a crowdfunding site a while back. I left in disgust as the first project I found was someone wanting people to buy him an enormous lego set so that he could build it. I really don't think that that is in the spirit of crowdfunding.

I'll happily give you free advice should you need some in an area I know something about.

JamesG

Hey, stranger, less useful things have been funded by crowdfunding. Call it the new charity if you want.

But I honestly don't get it or see how things like gofundme are successful at all. With "conventional" crowdfunding, the people who invest derive some return everything from some swag up to an example of the finished product or even a stake in the company the emerges. With this, you pretty much just write it off, most of the time you can even deduct it on your taxes... I guess an artifact of the easy money sloshing around because of the Fed...

Best of luck.

cheapracer

Log Member
I won't but I would give money to this before some of the multi million dollar successful companies asking for money - what's the go with that morally corrupt act and the idiots who fall for it?

By the way, just to be helpful, your plane is the first, not the second, prototypes are not counted unless it's sold retail as the number 001.

Jon Ferguson

For those of you who don't know the Epic, it started life as an E-AB, but now is in the certification process.

Nice airplane. Good choice Jon.

Epic Aircraft

BJC
[video=youtube;iZOe4RwEl-U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZOe4RwEl-U[/video]

Your Epic looks a lot more expensive than the one I had in mind BJC...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BJC

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Jon, can't help with the cash end of your goal but I will do what I can in digging up parts ect. Answer questions and be a shoulder to lean on when something gets broke, other then our pockets. :) get to building and have a blast. DJ

Jon Ferguson

Jon,

Could you tell us what about this plane you like and what sort of pilot would be interested in it?

LuPi
I think of the Epic as a continuation of the original Minimax concept of something that is just fun to build and to fly. The prime difference is that with this design I can bring a friend like my dad or my son.
It's an airplane to fly just to experience and share the joy of flight.

Sent from Windows Mail

cheapracer

Log Member
or my son.
It's an airplane to fly just to experience and share the joy of flight.

Ahh, now the story changes for the better, tell us more about the relationship and hopes for flight with your son and I for one would be more interested.

Better bring a tear to my eye though ....

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I guess beings this is Hanger talk, lets talk about flying with your son. Cheapracer I've been told on this forum how lucky I was to grow up with a father as a full time pilot. Jon stated how nice it would be to share that with his kin. I dont know if you have children Cheapracer but I do have a 17 yr old boy that by bad luck was born disabiled and the sound of a chain saw or motorbike and especially Airplanes freaks him out. So no ride for him EVER! Jon hope you get that ride togather someday, I really mean that. DJ