CriCri MC-15 in NZ

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

MadRocketScientist

Canterbury, New Zealand, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy.
Making more progress towards my microlight certificate, I am up to 17 or so hours flying now and getting closer to soloing. Why is it taking so long you might ask,? My main instructor is being very thorough and making sure that I am consistent at everything before letting me solo. I also have been quite slow in getting my paperwork squared away. :p

Made some more progress on the CriCri. I painted the tray behind the seat and I am getting ready to glue the rear window in place.

I also removed the nose wheel fork and after giving it a good rub down with scotchbrite, I alodined it. Once the alodine was dry I gave it a coat of silver paint. Should slow any corrosion,

DSC00628 (Medium).JPGDSC00630 (Medium).JPGDSC00632 (Medium).JPGDSC00634 (Medium).JPG

MadRocketScientist

I didnt know the CriCri was available anymore... are u building it from a kit or are you refurbing an old plane. ?
I purchased a set of plans secondhand over a decade ago!! Been building it for a while. There are pdf copies of the plans out there on the internet if you know where to look, since Mr Colomban decided that 47 years was long enough to have sold the plans for. I think he was only selling a few set a year for the last few years that they were available.

Shannon

MadRocketScientist

Glued the back window in place today.
I decided to make this from PETG rather than the polycarbonate that I had cut out previously. The polycarbonate has a tendency to craze and crack if it gets a whiff of any solvents at all. The PETG is slightly more flexible but much more forgiving of solvents. It is also able to have any scratches polished out somewhat easier than polycarbonate.
However the PETG is not UV stable and may fade slightly over time. Since I intend to mold the main canopy from PETG as well, any yellowing should match on both parts of the canopy.
DSC00644 (Medium).JPG
I think I will delete the two 12mm x 0.5mm aluminium strips that run along the outside lower sides of the window. The Sikaflex 11FC bonds really well to the PETG and I don't think it is going to come off without a fight. I think the strips were there for holding the window in but they do add some weight. I will use soft 'A' countersunk rivets all the way around for the flush look and paint the outside of the window edges to give the urethane glue some UV protection.
DSC00642 (Medium).JPG
I also sanded and filled the gear leg fairing several times to get rid of most of the pin holes. There were still a few left but I gave them both a coat of 'Chrome' paint. Comes out closer to a very fine silver. I am considering just wrapping these in foil tape and then polishing to get the mirror finish that way instead. The paint will do for now.
DSC00645 (Medium).JPG

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
You are running out of tasks fast. Why did you go with white for the back deck? Seems like a glare source. Heat rejection? Some graphic scheme not yet fully executed?

Foil tape is a good idea. Can you find it in wider rolls? I never have been able to find more than 2.5". I use the stuff that you seal heating ducts with. Great stuff. The stuff I have is .002 thick burnishes onto compound surfaces really nicely. Sticks more than you want it to. Hard to get off if you have to redo it. I've used it for some crazy engineering applications including solar hot water panels. Interesting stuff.

Oh yeah, I think a couple of those Cleco's are off by a few thousandths. You need to work on that :) har har.

TFF

You can get plenty wide aluminum tape. I have 4” but I think they make it out to 12” but it really hurts to buy a $500 roll of tape.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Man, that stuff is expensive. The HVAC duct stuff I use is $12 a roll not even in bulk. I think that stuff is 100mm max. Wonder why the jump in price as it gets bigger. Just limited manufacturing probably.

MadRocketScientist

You are running out of tasks fast. Why did you go with white for the back deck? Seems like a glare source. Heat rejection? Some graphic scheme not yet fully executed?

Foil tape is a good idea. Can you find it in wider rolls? I never have been able to find more than 2.5". I use the stuff that you seal heating ducts with. Great stuff. The stuff I have is .002 thick burnishes onto compound surfaces really nicely. Sticks more than you want it to. Hard to get off if you have to redo it. I've used it for some crazy engineering applications including solar hot water panels. Interesting stuff.

Oh yeah, I think a couple of those Cleco's are off by a few thousandths. You need to work on that :) har har.
I was going to have the back tray in grey, but I think white looks better, the color scheme is mostly polished and maybe some pin stripes, but nothing is finalized. I will have to use plenty of sunscreen on sunny days!

I think there is some wider foil available the the scale modelling guys use, I will have to have a look around.

haha some of the holes are off by a lot! not sure what I did there, I am hoping I can get the rivet flush and the paint hides the wiggly rivet line.

Edit: didn't read the next few posts before replying. TFF has the stuff!