Crazy enough to design my special one

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

abosi

Hello group,
I'm a passionate builder with a degree in aeronautical structures calculation and good handcraft capability.

After a carbon MCR01 built and a Rans S7 re-built (which I'm still flying) I would like to make my young days dream real by building an all metal very fast canard.
Burt Rutan left a mark in me with the Varieze so, even only as pure "better to try rather than regret", I'm designing my metal version to be fitted with a Rotax 914.

Gruops like this one are precious knowledge repositories and I appreciate everyone effort to keep passion live.

Enjoy your building!

Best regards

Andrea
Switzerland

Riggerrob

Look at Burt Rutan's first sketches of Vari-Eze. They included an all metal fuselage based upon a Bede 5. Wings and canard were simple, single-curvature sheet metal.
For further inspiration, look at the French Ibis canard. Granted Ibis is made of plywood, but it will help you design a simple aluminum air frame with mostly single curves.

nestofdragons

I am going to follow this thread. I like canards (weird airplanes in general). Not sure which canard is a alu construction. Are you planning to design it yourself or use existing plans? Is it a single seater or two-seater? What is in your eyes "very fast"?
About Ibis (mentioned above): there is a very good build-up-report on the internet from a builder i know. MESSAGE TO ALL USA-MEMBERS: But i can already tell it will be mission impossible to get the plans in the USA. The designer refuses to sell the plans to the USA. Reason: they always change stuff while building which he does not approve.

Doran Jaffas

Speaking of Burt Rutan designs if anybody comes across a Vari Viggen either a project or flying could they let me know on here please?

Thanks.
Doran Jaffas
N625MS