• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Crashworthiness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GESchwarz

I'd like to start a discussion on GA Crashworthiness. Although there is plenty of information out there on how to protect the occupants of a vehicle, particularly automobiles, I see less application in airplanes.

Of particular interest to me right now is how protecting my back against a high vertical G crash. I have seen a military heilocopter seat that had a cushion that was about 9" deep. I thought that might do the trick. The upholstery foam would have to have just the right spring rate to hold firm at 1 G, yet be able to have sufficient compression all the way up to 9 Gs or so to protect the spine.

Does anyone know what type of foam fits this requirement?

My tandem seat/pilot in front design has the pilots rear 4.5" above the spar. That's more than a lot of designs out there, but I'd like more compression distance. I'm thinking that I could mount my seat on a swing arm that would cause the seat pan to travel in an arc that is forward and downward, ahead of the spar, allowing my rear a greater stopping distance in a high vertical G crash. The top of the seat would travel a vertical path. The seat belts will be 5-Point so that I don't "torpedo", or is it "submarine"?

Last edited:
Back