Crashes in the News - Thread

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

D Hillberg

Give thanks to Bells Mr. LaDux [spelling?] Who let me fly those simulators for fun at lunch time and the talks of the old Bell Helicopter that started the company and his historical contributions - And how the simulators were not a replacement for the real thing. [close but no cigar] He was a memory I'll treasure. . .

When the FAA and schools stopped full touchdown autos they increased the likelihood of more serious accidents later on. pilots guessing on how things go in the end of any emergency are a danger to everyone. Hitting a palm tree? Get real. The pilot screwed up. But but the tail rotor..... Sure...

Last edited:

Bille Floyd

... . .

When the FAA and schools stopped full touchdown autos they increased the likelihood of more serious accidents later on. pilots guessing on how things go in the end of any emergency are a danger to everyone. ...
Early 2007 I was flying in an R22 with a buddy. We were 500' AGL , doing 35kt
when I asked how fast do ya need to be going to keep her in a straight
heading if the tail rotor goes out , and ya switch to auto ? He sped up
a Bunch.
Later he inquired how I knew to ask that question ; told him that
I fly RC Helicopters , (a Lot) ! :)

The next Helicopter flight wasn't much better :
Oct 2007 in a Life-flight heli ,and the bill collector called to ask
for payment .
I complained that as a scenic tour company they weren't very
good ; they gave me too much morphine , and I didn't remember
any of the flight ! GURRrr
She Laughed !!!

Bille

Bill-Higdon

Screw your sim. 3 engine failures 2 tail rotor failures with no damage or injuries - one experimental with 2 bent skid tube events during tests -power topping - VRS & testing one off experimentals with no written limitations -
Thousands of autos in Bells, Hillers, Hughes, Brantleys, Robinsons etc, and one in an S 58 that my boss did to a roof of a Price Costco.
You can even fly an Enstrom foot free in the pattern from take off to landing. Try that.
Bell Simulators too. [close but no cigar]
I saw 2 running landings of Cobras first while in Viet Nam, bird go hit in the tail by radar controlled 37mm took the tail rotor & fin where it attached off. Bird made it back & laded on our strip. Side note this was when the US Government said the NVA/VC didn't have any radar controlled AA in South Vietnam. Second AH-1W lost tail rotor due to bird strike pilot put it down on a road by our FARP

D Hillberg

Nam pilots are a wealth of knowledge on helicopters , I got out before the H 60s
Crew chiefs had plenty of stick time - OH 58, UH 1 M ,
CH 47? no stick time but 200 mph side ways was a blast "Hey kid watch this"

challenger_II

I saw 2 running landings of Cobras first while in Viet Nam, bird go hit in the tail by radar controlled 37mm took the tail rotor & fin where it attached off. Bird made it back & laded on our strip. Side note this was when the US Government said the NVA/VC didn't have any radar controlled AA in South Vietnam. Second AH-1W lost tail rotor due to bird strike pilot put it down on a road by our FARP
Gotta LOVE snakes! :)

D Hillberg

I don’t think 200mph sideways is a thing…just sayin’ ;)
It was Fort Rucker, Out the gate at a test flight section - They're job was to wreck machines and put time on them. Blades with intentional damage flown, time life part extension and max torque and temp flights
They said the Chinook flew faster sideways and did it on a weekly basis, Didn't see you there on deck.

bmcj

Supporting Member
Helicopter crash in Fresno caught on front door camera. Minor injuries.

Watch the video, focus on the blue sky in the left edge of the frame.

VIDEO: Helicopter crashes near homes in Southeast Fresno

More and better video. You can get a better idea of what happened.

Sorry, the news station plays a commercial first, and is then slow to buffer. You might have to play it a second time to get the clear video instead of the lo-res blurry one.

Last edited:

TFF

The engine sound changes before it starts spinning. If they let the rotor RPM go down too much, the tail rpm also drops the same percentage. Pilot may have misjudged the issue. He didn’t have much altitude to do over.

bmcj

Supporting Member
The engine sound changes before it starts spinning. If they let the rotor RPM go down too much, the tail rpm also drops the same percentage. Pilot may have misjudged the issue. He didn’t have much altitude to do over.
Either that, or he reduced torque to counter the loss of tail rotor (disclaimer… I’m not a rotor pilot).

D Hillberg

Hovering Point around a cell tower... Sure doesn't look like a 'test' flight.
Probably got behind it and entered a critical wind azimuth - It doesn't take much.
Loss of thrust [T/R VRS ]
Lazy feet
Wind not in your favor
Hold my beer

challenger_II

A can of lube and monkeys at the controls?
Before the V-22 the Chinook was the fastest in the Army helico-peter inventory
Going forwards, yes I am aware. 196mph max speed. Wrenched on a few of them. But, going sideways, Mother Drag raises her ugly head. Again, them palm trees are really going to have a time dragging that banana sideways.
I'll even bet you believed those old phart 4-spot Chiefs when they said the AH-56 was the first supersonic helicopter...