Crashes in the News - Thread

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

rsrguy3

Not talking and announcing position.... not satisfactory. I had a monocoup cut me off in the pattern once...pretty close, with no radio calls, nothing. I looked at the ship on the ramp, it had a radio and an electrical system. I talked to the guy about the bird, his attitude matched his airwork..... garbage and definitely not sat.

You do all hat on the ground. Then tweak it on the fly
Supposed to...

Wanttaja

It takes a split second to glance down at an Ipad and see your position relative to the ground and the targets (and their direction, altitude and distance from you) near you.
Certainly. Unfortunately, there's a subset of pilots who fixate on screens. And those who don't know the difference between "The screen shows traffic" and "The screen shows ALL traffic." I keep wondering if the pilot of the twin at Watsonville had his head down, cursing at his ADS-B display, wondering why it didn't show the other aircraft.

Fondly reminds me of my NORDO days, when an acquaintance cussed me out because "If you don't announce on radio, I won't know you're there."

Dern right I'd put an ADS-B receiver in my Fly Baby. But I don't have panel space for it, and it'll wash out in sunlight. I'd want audio notification like a co-pilot would provide. Give me a o'clock for traffic that might be a hazard, and don't bother with the rest.

Ron Wanttaja

Toobuilder

Supporting Member
Flying "head down" in a VFR environment is a pilot problem, not a technology problem. The information offered on my ancient glass EFIS is available instantly, continuously updated, and typically one button push away (or less) than anything a whiz wheel, wind triangle, or OBS spinning could ever hope to achieve. Winds DO change while enroute, ATC DOES ask for routing changes, weather DOES change, traffic IS unpredictable... Glass offers far better SA than ever before. Use it right and the modern glass cockpit can show you the world much faster and with more precision than anything that has existed before. It frees up time so you can spend more time "eyes out" than the most skilled luddite pilots among us.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
But did the asteroid operator comply with the mandatory installation of Asteroid Detection System-Bullseye? Probably not. There you have it, failure to comply with government regs and bureaucracy resulted in a completely preventable crash.

There will undoubtedly be a full investigation by the Newly Targeted Satellites Branch and the enforcement branch of the Flying Asteroids of America.

Last edited:

TFF

Oh, now you want surveillance of my activities. Plenty of space out there, but I have to phone home with all my location changes. Not my fault no one cleans up the junk out there. I should sue for damages, because clearly it should not have been in the way.

wktaylor

Some preliminary 'informed analysis/discussion' regarding the Reno Air Race L29 Super Delfin mishap.

wktaylor

NOTE1. I strongly suggest that this thread is ridiculously long [my last post was #5913] and should be terminated/closed: and that a NEW thread... 'Crashes in the News II'... or 'Crashes in the News Continued', [what ever] etc... be initiated to 'replace it'.

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
NOTE1. I strongly suggest that this thread is ridiculously long [my last post was #5913] and should be terminated/closed: and that a NEW thread... 'Crashes in the News II'... or 'Crashes in the News Continued', [what ever] etc... be initiated to 'replace it'.
Out of curiosity, what is the advantage of creating another thread? The search tool makes it easy to come to this thread and do a search that is filtered by date window. The search tool does not make it easy to search just 2or 3 threads. My browser seems to just download one page at time when I call up the thread, so a (huge) multipage thread doesn't increase any data charges.
Just wondering. From my POV, it's easier and better to have all the crash posts on one thread so I don't have to recall the timeframe of an old post to find it.

wktaylor

As a reminder... Meteor Crater [Barringer's Crater] near Winslow AZ was created by a stony-iron meteor [asteroid] impact... a 'baby' size ~160-ft in Dia... Meteor Crater - Wikipedia
The object that excavated the crater was a nickel-iron meteorite about 160 ft (50 m) across. The speed of the impact has been a subject of some debate. Modeling initially suggested that the meteorite struck at up to 45,000 mph (20 km/s), but more recent research suggests the impact was substantially slower, at 29,000 mph (12.8 km/s). About half of the impactor's bulk is believed to have been vaporized during its descent through the atmosphere.[19] Impact energy has been estimated at about 10 megatons TNTe. The meteorite was mostly vaporized upon impact, leaving few remains in the crater.[20]

And Just a few years ago the Ruskie town of Chelyabinsk was ~underneath the low-altitude air detonation of a MUCH smaller meteor/asteroid... Chelyabinsk meteor - Wikipedia

OH yeah... and the Ruskie 'Tunguska Event' [larger asteroid or comet?] impacting 'unoccupied Siberia' in 1908... That was fun also... Tunguska event - Wikipedia

Imagine the thrill of watching these events in real-time with family and friends... while chowing-down on popcorn and snacks!!! Or NOT...

Wanttaja

Out of curiosity, what is the advantage of creating another thread? The search tool makes it easy to come to this thread and do a search that is filtered by date window. The search tool does not make it easy to search just 2or 3 threads. My browser seems to just download one page at time when I call up the thread, so a (huge) multipage thread doesn't increase any data charges.
Just wondering. From my POV, it's easier and better to have all the crash posts on one thread so I don't have to recall the timeframe of an old post to find it.
I've always been a bit grumpy about this thread. *All* crashes are discussed here, even airline or military (or space....). Look at the first post of the thread, a midair between two F-16s. Since this forum is "Homebuilt Airplanes.com" I just don't think it's a good fit.

Second, the thread was started by a since-banned troll with their own agenda ("Military Tests May lead to West Coast GPS Disruptions...") and their avatar is what people see when they look at the thread header. 2500+ posts in, that may not matter, but someone new to the group might zip back to the first and wonder about the "banned."

Ron Wanttaja

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
There was a midair today between a satellite and an asteroid. The asteroid was able to keep on flying, the the satellite sadly did not make it. There were no fatalities.
Reminds me of the time a mosquito collided midflight with my arm. The result was a bloody awful event which the mosquito did not survive.