Crashes in the News - Thread

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

radfordc

Monday morning quarterbacking for sure, but from that photo, and knowing how long it takes to roll a heavier aircraft to a 45-60 degree bank... if the 340 pilot had pushed or pulled instead of banked, this might have been a near-miss instad of a fatality.
I had the same thought.

danmoser

Mid-air collision between Cessna 172 and Sonex Xenos motorglider near Longmont, Colorado, USA this morning.
Initial reports of 3 fatalities were updated to 4 dead at the scene..
What a sad event.. see & avoid, people! :(

mcrae0104

Supporting Member
Mid-air collision between Cessna 172 and Sonex Xenos motorglider near Longmont, Colorado, USA this morning.
Very busy training area. Sad news.

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
I believe this qualifies as a crash:

Yes, Boom is done. If it ever really started.

Interesting side note, from the link:

"Pratt & Whitney, another company capable of making such an engine, is also hesitant to participate, with chief sustainability officer Graham Webb calling supersonic jets "tangential.""

I'm sure the P&W CEO and shareholders will be interested to read Mr Webb's thoughts on their supersonic jet engine business. I hope Mr Webb lands on his feet and finds gainful employment as somebody else's "chief sustainability officer."

When the economy crumps and the cuts come, many companies will find they've provided themselves with plenty of dead weight that can be tossed overboard with no adverse effect.

Last edited:

addaon

Supporting Member
I wonder if there's an exit here to China. XAEC seems to have their hands full, but it's the kind of prestige project that the PRC could reasonably choose to sink Lots Of Money into. I suspect a crapload of the current design is ITAR / EAR though, including likely some of the intended materials, so cleaning it out to make the tech exportable may be somewhere between hard and impossible.

trimtab

It is, unfortunately, an area I endeavor to avoid at almost all costs. Terrible tragedy.

trimtab

I believe there are still only three fatalities reported.

rsrguy3

The L39( I know this was a 29) guys say they can pull up to 8.5 g on the course. So, yah the simplest explanation is probably the correct one.

Toobuilder

Supporting Member
Just prior to the race Reno did a missing man formation and dedicated the upcomming Unlimited Gold race to Smoot.

With the DNF's of the top 3 in Sport Gold, the fire and smoke, and now the jet... Not a banner year for Reno.

bmcj

Supporting Member
Better video of the jet crash at Reno. Could it be G-LOC?

There was also a video from the infield. I’ll try to find it again.

EDIT:
Not the full length on I mentioned, but this is from the infield.

Last edited: