Crashes in the News - Thread

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

radfordc

I agree whole heartedly with Billle's notion of flying so as to always have an option. What I don't agree with is this, "
I got a totally different opinion, of that pilot ; he exemplifies the epitome of ineptitude. He endangered a Lot of lives ; because
the fool did not have a back-Up plan (.)"

Bille Floyd

I agree whole heartedly with Billle's notion of flying so as to always have an option. What I don't agree with is this, "
I got a totally different opinion, of that pilot ; he exemplifies the epitome of ineptitude. He endangered a Lot of lives ; because
the fool did not have a back-Up plan (.)"
YES
I'm going to agree with that ; I run my mouth with emotion , and
the point could be made in a much nicer way. Even at my old age ;
I can learn to be a bit more considerate !!
The emotion comes from :
Pilot friends that have died in the past . 6 buddies that I'll never
get to drink a beer with , ever again ; most of them didn't consider
the consequences, for there actions . :(

It is still , "No excuse , to be rude" .

Bille

proppastie

Supporting Member
did not have a back-Up plan
thinking of my own experiences I have mixed emotions.......I fly under Class B airspace often with nothing but city under me.....yes there are areas of that airspace where in the heat of the moment it would be difficult to find open space big enough to set it down from the lower altitude I am flying at.....I am sure many from the LA basin have similar issues. Just taking off and departing the area one might be in that situation. If you want guarantees do not fly, ( or even drive ).

wildun

Quote [..............................Like many people I've read a lot of reports and articles. I came to the conclusion there's not a single article I've read where I actually learned something I didn't already know. On accident reports I've read often times I walk away thinking "what moron would do this in an airplane?" Like running out of fuel, turning back, low altitude showing off, etc etc. I'm sure you'd agree.

Ok, now let's talk mechanical errors. Sure, there's a little bit of learning but most aircraft engine technology is ancient, it's been hashed over a million times and pilots need to read and study BEFORE flying. And of course there's the mechanical anomalies that nobody can predict. Tough to learn from those.

Weather causes accidents. Where's the learning here that's not common sense?.......................]

Hopefully I'm not intruding too much,- but the trouble with human beings is that although they may have a head full of knowledge of what to do and what not to do (through reading everything up thoroughly), when a bad situation actually arises, the mind may fail to recognize it till it is too late - ie because it has never been experienced before! - not because the person is stupid!

TFF

Pilot choices are hard. Everyone tries to be prepared. Some things are just what they are. Skill and situation is always variable. Some is by choice and some is what you are stuck with.

Bille Floyd

I think Bille's point is to try to limit the time you spend while flying out of glide range of a reasonable place to make an emergency landing. I do this as I don't trust airplanes with my life. In 31 years I've had six forced landings in four different airplanes, two of them not mine. No wrecks. I watch people in the pattern at my home airport and more than 50% of them would have no hope of making the runway in case of an engine failure and the runway is "right there"
I try to fly the way Bille Floyd is suggesting whenever possible. He's 100% correct in the intent and the reasoning behind it. People who fly gliders, hang gliders, sailplanes, etc. always have that nagging feeling in the back of their head.

I try to alter my course to remain within glide range of more decent areas when there's a choice. ...

That was the point , I was trying to make gentlemen ; but I
chose a very rude and condescending way to say it , so a
lot of people got turned off , and I'm sorry for that !!

Bille

TFF

I think the “ Oh, I thought it was a TP roll I threw out the window “. isn’t going to stick. It could be the mentioned airliner part. It didn’t fall off. Probably a bushing where the old one was left accidentally in a hole during replacement is possible. Usually you are supposed to return worn parts to the parts room. Probably was asked where it was. Could have been flying around for a while.

wktaylor

NTSB releases final report on Red Bull Plane Swap accident

The NTSB has released its final report on the crash that occurred when two pilots tried to swap planes mid-flight as part of a television broadcast.

The plan was for Red Bull Air Force members and cousins Luke Aikins and Andy Farrington to swap Cessna 182s in mid-flight over the Arizona desert — and stream it live on Hulu.

While Aikins was able to get into Farrington’s plane and safely land, Aikins’ plane went into an inverted spin and Farrington had to parachute to safety.

Days after the accident, Aikins revealed on Instagram that he ignored an email from the FAA denying his request for an exemption for the stunt.

The FAA revoked the pilot certificates of both men. ... ...

Pops

Supporting Member
Reminds me of the time I was working and over mountains at 12K and it was lunch time so I was eating an apple. Opened the window and threw the apple core out. Woman in back running the camera equipment said I shouldn't have done that because it might hit someone. Told her to look out the window, bet there is not a human for 30 miles in any direction. More likley to hit a bear.

wktaylor

Regarding situational awareness, stress and emergencies...

Tips to avoid a brain stall while flying
By General Aviation News Staff · June 29, 2022 ·
Tips to avoid a brain stall while flying — General Aviation News

Also, IF anyone wants to go deeper... available on the FAA website...

FAA AC120-103 Fatigue Risk Management Systems for Aviation Safety
FAA AC120-115 Maintainer Fatigue Risk Management
FAA-H-8083-2 Risk Management Handbook

... and for 'fun' for investigators... the bad stuff about mishap crash debris and site contamination civil aviation** related.
FAA AC450.115-1 High Fidelity Flight Safety Analysis
**military crash sites also have ammunition, ordnance and pyrotechnics and toxic metals to consider...

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
Reminds me of the time I was working and over mountains at 12K and it was lunch time so I was eating an apple. Opened the window and threw the apple core out. Woman in back running the camera equipment said I shouldn't have done that because it might hit someone. Told her to look out the window, bet there is not a human for 30 miles in any direction. More likley to hit a bear.
And what is the terminal velocity/energy of an apple core? Certainly not dangerous.

It probably made a raccoon down there very happy.