Crashes in the News - Thread

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

TFF

There is video of the plane landing. The plane lost a wheel which was the emergency they were having. I wonder if the co pilot opened a door to get a better view and got sucked out? I doubt he wanted “out” like “emergency “ headline gives the impression. Pretty tragic.

Wanttaja

There is video of the plane landing. The plane lost a wheel which was the emergency they were having. I wonder if the co pilot opened a door to get a better view and got sucked out? I doubt he wanted “out” like “emergency “ headline gives the impression. Pretty tragic.
Word on another forum is that the pilot says the jump was deliberate.

Also, a point of interest is that the plane was *fixed gear*...this was not a case of a landing gear failing to come down. As TFF says, the plane had lost a wheel, apparently in a hard landing at another airport.

Ron Wanttaja

agpilot24

I’m in Iowa on a “corn run”….helping the locals catch up on spraying the corn crops with fungicide. I saw this airplane pushed off to the side. After taxiing by it numerous times, I looked up the accident report and asked the ag co-op guy if he knew anything about it. Apparently this Thrush aircraft hit a water pump windmill and was able to fly back to the airport and land, but having the LH landing gear fail upon landing. In the pictures, you can see he brought back part of the windmill, which demolished the part of the fuselage that the gear is tied to, and hurt the prop more than I have ever seen. That prop should have come apart, the blades are visibly bent, and hit pretty hard. That young man said the right prayers the night before….God has plans for him in the future. That prop should have come apart, followed by the engine leaving the airframe in short order….

Attachments

• 905F7650-E519-443B-927B-79E87FEA2B75.jpeg
    905F7650-E519-443B-927B-79E87FEA2B75.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 5CB2C616-B95A-4386-BF07-E4B60CFEDBED.jpeg
    5CB2C616-B95A-4386-BF07-E4B60CFEDBED.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 3B714850-83CC-4B70-B739-563ADA46752A.jpeg
    3B714850-83CC-4B70-B739-563ADA46752A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2

challenger_II

Wish I could find the pics:
In 1978, we were spraying a field up around Lockney, Texas. Was a water well in the middle of the field, with a power line running to it. My trusty bud, flying a Stearman, had been flying under the powerline. On the pass just outboard of the well, the bird clipped the diagonal brace wire for the powerline, just outboard of the interplane struts. Clipped that section of the lower wing and aileron smooth off. Pilot dumped the load and brought her back to the strip. We sent off to Chickasha for a wing and an aileron, and the pilot sent off for a clean pair of shorts!

bmcj

Supporting Member
Video of a crash in Corona California today.

Bille Floyd

Guy did a pretty decent job of putting it down without going through anyone's car roof, best possible outcome.

Gonna , "Strongly" Disagree ; on that !!!!!
Your a glider pilot Victor ; so you already know , where
I'm going with this :

About 1.1 miles, NNW of where the crash occurred ; there
is a Big giant Open Field .
I got a totally different opinion, of that pilot ; he exemplifies
the epitome of ineptitude. He endangered a Lot of lives ; because
the fool did not have a back-Up plan (.)

The placemark on the map below ; that is where the crash happened.Screenshot 2022-08-10 5.06.04 AM - Display 1.png

Bille

Pops

Supporting Member
No matter how big the field is , if you can't make it , you can't make it. Don't know where he was when the engine failed. Not the best gliding airplane by a long shot. Used to fly a T tail Piper Arrow. Engine off was like a lead manhole cover falling on its edge.

TFF

Clearly shooting for the Harbor Freight for tools. Chick Fil A was the opposite direction.

Trees and wires. That’s what will get you. If the traffic is flowing, it’s a merge, assuming it’s not head on. Can’t run into a tower if over the interstate, just saying.

Richard6

Here is a video taken from some guys car camera. It appears to me that he forgot everything he learned to be a pilot.

I don't know if that aircraft has flaps or not, but if it does, they were not activated. Looks like he stalled about 20 feet above the road. Smacked it down so hard that both wings broke.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
Right next to Fender Guitars, about 500 feet east, is Aircraft Spruce. The Corona airport is closer to him than that "big open field".

Since we are not yet fully informed about where he was when it quit, and which direction he was going, and how high off the ground he was.... how can we know whether he did very well or very poorly?

What if he was over Lowe's at 800 feet, realized he'd lost power, and headed toward the airport... then realized he probably could not reach the airport... what landing location would have given him the best outcome under that circumstance?

Last edited:

Bill-Higdon

challenger_II

You picked a fine time to leave me Loose Wheel
Lost a wheel on a training flight... Guess the Lieutenant thought he was done with training wheels.

radfordc

Gonna , "Strongly" Disagree ; on that !!!!!
Your a glider pilot Victor ; so you already know , where
I'm going with this :

About 1.1 miles, NNW of where the crash occurred ; there
is a Big giant Open Field .
I got a totally different opinion, of that pilot ; he exemplifies
the epitome of ineptitude. He endangered a Lot of lives ; because
the fool did not have a back-Up plan (.)

Bille doesn't have any facts....but he certainly has an opinion. Truly a "man of the internet".